Wednesday, April 23, 2003

Spun, Anger Management, Holes, Basic, Malibu's Most Wanted

Latest movies to be watched by me:

SPUN: Drug-addled "comedy" starring Jason Schwartzman, Brittany Murphy, Mickey Rourke, John Leguizamo, Mena Suvari, Deborah Harry, Peter Stormare, and others...Too much "Hey look at this! Drugs being taken in copious amounts!" scenes, too much focus on every little detail, and not funny enough...but it's got some good scenes and is worth going to see Rourke.

ANGER MANAGEMENT: Too "managed" for me, actually. Everyone on the face of the Earth is going to tell you how great it is to see Sandler play it straight and let Nicholson be Nicholson, but it doesn't have lots of belly-laughs. I'd say most critics would find me mad when I say that HAPPY GILMORE and BILLY MADISON are still funnier. Well, they are.

HOLES: Actually one of the best movies I've seen this year, mostly due to the surprise of it all of being good whatsoever.

BASIC: Fair, but over-the-top "surprises" start not being fun after awhile.

MALIBU'S MOST WANTED: Again, just not funny enough. Where's the well-timed, written comedy?

The following was at the beginning of the post, but I changed it to emphasize movies (Chris).

Back again. I've just had the week from hell. FIRST, my car's transmission went out and left me without a car for a week. The cost was extravagant, and then when they put the "new" transmission in, the engine fell apart! This left me to go out and get a used car, which I have today, a '98 Nissan Sentra that is perfect to drive around in but will cost me money I wasn't planning to spend. SECOND, my TV went out. For the longest time, the screen would turn green and you'd have to hit it to get it back (Jonathan can attest, for he watched me saunter over to this television about 60 times in one night). Finally, it the tube just went out, and it died. THIRD, I've been sick all week, allergy related. I'll cross my fingers, but I believe I still have the faculty of a penis in place.

As for a small retort on HOUSE OF 1K CORPSES, I found nothing at all creepy about the movie other than it took 2 years to come out because of supposed gore. And Mike, I don't think I'm giving anything away by telling you that in the end when we think everyone is safe the bad guy shows up in the back seat of the car for a final scare--but he just sits there and looks at the victims as if he was told by Rob Zombie, "This is going to scare the hell out of people when you appear, so let it sink in."