Saturday, April 23, 2005

Thunder Over Louisville

Normally, at Thunder Over Louisville, you get nowhere close to the river. Estimates typically are for 700,000 people or more. But this year, due to the good graces of cold and rain, my friends and I walked right up only 30 minutes beforehand, even getting our feet wet a bit. It was worth every frozen toe.

Here's some background. Two weeks before Derby, every year, there is an air show, which is nice, and a fireworks show, which is one of the best in the world. The Second Street Bridge is shut down three days ahead of time and covered with fireworks. Two barges are brought in, one on either side of the bridge, and they shoot identical fireworks to show a larger audience. And the show lasts 30 minutes. I-65 is shutdown every year because of the smoke. I took over 150 pictures, and I hope these decent shots show at least some of what the event was like. I divided them into different posts because it made posting less time consuming. Click for larger images.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home