Wednesday, June 08, 2005

CNN And Other Stuff

I read in USA Today that CNN is planning on eliminating debate about news and going back to just reporting it. This is refreshing, considering anytime I flip over to any cable news network, there's people going back and forth about some issue (usually not very important)--and all I want to know is what the hell is going on in the world. The same can be said for the higher-rated Fox News. I can't spend but about 3 seconds on either of these channels without a point and counterpoint.

Really, news in general is tiring. No one just reports anymore. When I see news, I want this:

1. The anchorperson reports what happened.
2. The field reporter gives the details.
3. There are two sides to the story, so give them equal time.
4. The anchorperson does not comment on said story, just goes to the next story.

As for sports media, these guys really have lost it.

One thing that sparked my ire the other day is when this guy was talking about the controversial San Francisco 49ers video involving conduct and dealing with the media. He makes this point, "Sure, it's a sort of dirty, sleazy video...but look at life! Life is filled with that kind of stuff!"

What a great point. I believe this makes the lurid video an accurate depiction of life in general, and thus, is OK to be shown in the context that it is shown. A team is trying to tell the players how to do something right, and then some dude makes a video that is supposed to help but instead makes fun of that, and the point is lost.

That's like a Sesame Street video teaching kids how to spell, but throwing naked lesbians in there to spell "cock."
That's life!

In general, also, national media types know nothing about your team if they happen to be speaking about them. The only thing they know about your team is the highlights (maybe) but they especially know where your team is in the standings--that's the most important thing.

I saw Woody Paige at the beginning of the baseball season talking about how John Smoltz couldn't make it as a starter (this after his shelling at the hands of the Marlins on opening day) because the last time he started was in 1999 and his record was such-and-such, and so forth. If Paige had paid any attention to 1999's season, he would have known that Smoltz basically pitched all year with a torn elbow, and started throwing sidearm towards the end of the season.

In general, I'm glad about CNN's decisions, and hope others follow suit. But the next thing they are going to have to do is actually get the story straight, and research, and report in such a way that they are not classed as a "leaning" organization.

2 Comments:

At 6/08/2005 11:10:00 AM, Blogger Kennelworthy said...

Yeah, the whole "you see that stuff elsewhere in the world" argument doesn't fly with me either.

That was the defense offered by those sticking up for the Terrel Owens/Desperate Housewives skit on Monday Night Football.

As I said then, this defense is weak and faulty. By that logic...a robber can get away with his theft by telling the judge "people rob from other people all the time."

The problem is that sportscasters and radio hosts take a position on a whim...to get reaction...to fill their three hour show. And often it feels like they don't think it out. But they'll staunchly defend their screwy position just so they don't have to say they're wrong.

Honestly, when was the last time you heard a sports radio or television personality admit they were wrong about an opinion?

 
At 6/08/2005 09:34:00 PM, Blogger Jonathan said...

If that episode of "Sesame Street" ever comes to be true, please someone let me know about it.

As far as the subject matter; I can't watch the news anymore. And, yes, I hate the debating shows. Hannity and Colmes can kiss my ass. I just have my various websites I read, and that's where I get my news.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home