Friday, September 08, 2006

The Illusionist, Take Two


It doesn't happen often, but taking a second look at a movie sometimes gives me a better appreciation. This is the case with The Illusionist.

My theatre has done this twice now--get movies I long watched before. Little Miss Sunshine didn't improve on its second viewing, but I watched with some sort of glee at The Illusionist's plotting--scenes that were a little boring on the first try were actually pretty engaging since I knew what was going to happen. Paul Giamatti, who I liked a lot on the first go-around, I really loved on the second try. Edward Norton's performance, which seemed "only" solid, changed into downright masterful.

There's another particular movie this one patterns itself after, which I won't discuss, but I think the same principles apply.

Now, I'm onboard with this flick. It's one of the better films of the year and I recommend it highly. You might be the same way after the first viewing as I was, but trust me, you will be rewarded on the next viewing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home