Monday, September 20, 2004

You right, Dog

That title doesn't tell you anything about this post. I think that's funny.

You're right man. But I hope you don't shut up about it. I think it's the perfect example of great discussion without personal feelings and anger (really, the opposite of the whole lockout debacle). I wrote some of what I wrote hoping and expecting you to rebut...maybe just because I'm bored at work and wanted something to do and something to read. So I hope you don't think...that I think....that you're just going for the last word. Not at all. (It should be noted I'd gladly let you have the last word if that were actually the goal...because your last word would be better and more entertaining than mine). I was actually planning for you to respond.

I think you're right on the money there with the whole "Titans lost confidence" thing. Absolutely. You could see it. Frustration is as inescapable human condition as there is.

And you're right on the thing about play-action...no debate there. I'm with you. I'm in. Buy me five shares.

I don't really think I even disagree with you about any of it, and I think I may just be writing to have something to do. Oh well.

Really what shakes out of this debate in my eyes is that prediction of games is impossible. If you predict on confidence and emotion, the numbers will get you. If you predict on just numbers, the turnovers and mental intangibles will get you. If you use both sides...then someone on the team will break a fibia and you're still screwed. I mean, predictions (and those people working for big sports publications whose job it is to make those predictions) are just silly, really. It's fun to do, because if you're like Mike and you get it right on as far as outcome...you feel cool. And your friends have to buy you ice creams or soda pops. But really, we get it wrong more often than not.

You can say it's because of parity in the league that no prediction is too valid. But I think it's because these people are individuals. You can do all the research and predicting and emotional guesswork that you want, but if one safety or linebacker on one team is having marital strife at home (due to a cheating spouse, or lack of "getting action") then they'll knock off somebody's head, maybe cause a fumble or injury, and likely play with much more gusto than normal....unless they're depressed about it, in which case they might be sluggish and allow a big pass play or run. And those human, individual mental concerns and states....are not written about. They're not known by us.

Sometimes if traffic is bad on my way to work, I'm in a grumpy mood all day. I don't answer the phone with as much pep. I don't get as much design work done because I'm distracted. If my girlfriend sends me an e-mail, though, sometimes I perk right up even if the day has been awful. My finances are a constant concern for me, always on my mind. Sometimes I'm happy that I'll have enough money for that new Xbox game. And sometimes I'm upset because I can't afford lunch. My point is, all these guys are individuals. At most, the glimpse we get into their mental state is based on contract talks, fights or scuffles with coaches or players, or in Andre Rison's case we know his house burned down because his loco lady didn't get enough tlc. But the true mental state is always unknown. Sure, they're pros, so they learn how to turn stuff on or off to get game-ready. But they're human. They're prone to emotion, and it's fundamental to our being as humans to be affected by emotion. We all have emotion, and we all react to identical emotions in different ways. Verdict? Unpredictable.

That's all I was trying to say. But just to keep things going I'll say this: "You're totally wrong, man. Titans don't need play-action, and the Colts only won because they didn't want to drop to an 0-2 record." There. Take that. Man, I'm good.

Also, just heard on the radio that Edge has a hamstring injury and will miss some time. Freakin' great! (that was sarcasm...I'm actually not happy that happened.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home