Friday, December 24, 2004

Franklin Tennessee

I was wandering around the streets of my hometown this night, thinking about the little town where I grew up that's now so rich. It seems that so much of the downtown that I remember is gone, but some of it has been preserved. I saw that Gray Drug is closing, which was established in 1876, and that makes me sad. I hope they don't take down the sign. It's just one more place that I remembered from growing up there that is gone - a list that includes the barber shop, the shoe store, clothing stores, Five Points Drug Store (replaced by a Starbucks!), and, of course, Ace Hardware. I'm not sure what to think of it all, as I'm in favor of progress, but I've realized how nice it is to go to a downtown of a small town and be able to get all of your personal needs taken care of. Now all of the stores are high end stores that I can't afford yet. The funny thing about those stores is that I enjoy visiting them in Louisville, but in Franklin I wonder how useful it is. Shouldn't a downtown in a small town be useful, and a common destination? I don't think it currently is.

Here's the excellent Nashville Scene article that got me thinking about these issues (and that shows the old Gray Drug sign). Am I overcome by a case of silly nostalgia, or is the new Franklin better than the old one? Maybe so, but I'm happy to see the many things that haven't changed, such as the old Post Office, and the NOEL sign at Five Points. Change is inevitable. Hopefully Franklin can do so while keeping its small town feel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home