Wednesday, January 26, 2005

My New Thing

Hey guys! What's up? So I've thought a lot about my contributions to the blogging community, and have found them slightly lacking in one main area: I don't have a theme.

Chris has his movie reviews, and though he writes on other topics, he most often writes honest and insightful reviews of the films he's seen.

Mike has the webcams, satellite photos, and other various nuggets which he uses to enlighten us.

I have....well, no one thing that I regularly do that I can call my thing. I love blogging about movies and sports and politics...and will continue to do so. But I wanted to find some niche for myself where I could be creative and have fun.

Now, Chris and I have a lot of shared experience working in movie theaters--actually, the same exact theater too. But something we have in common that goes much deeper is our shared love of movies. We aren't picky about the type of movie, we just love movies. Many a time did I sit at 3AM with Chris in an empty theater to preview some new movie, from Jeepers Creepers to Pearl Harbor.

It's natural for me to want to write some sort of film review, but Chris does such a fine job at writing straightforward, objective reviews that it would be pretty redundant if I did the same thing. Besides, he was doing it first.

Long story short.....I was digging around on my computer last night, looking at old documents I hadn't seen in years, and found a couple of reviews for films that I had written a year or two ago. Both were written when I was still thinking about starting a website for Dave Barry-ish entertainment reviews, and I laughed while reading both of them.

So I've taken my personal blog--which I never used to update--cleared it out, redesigned it, and started from scratch. It now holds two film reviews that are intended to be silly, funny, strange, and not at all accurate. I plan to add reviews for other films, television shows, and even music and commercials.

Now I need to know a couple things: Do you guys think those reviews are funny in the least? And, do you guys think those reviews would work in the L&N forum without conflicting with (or taking away from) Chris's reviews? I'm fairly sure they're funny, at least to me. But I'm wary about whether or not they fit the mood of this blog.

So I put them up on my own, and will be happy to continue doing that in the future (in addition, of course, to my regular sports and movie posts here at L&N), so you need not feel any pressure at all about them appearing on this blog. But I thought I'd see what you guys thought. Is there any market out there in the blog-o-sphere for film reviews that are really more stream-of-consiousness rambling than serious review? Am I on to something, or should I go back to picking fights with other local blog hosts? You let me know. My circle of friends in the blogging world is pretty small, and I just thought I'd get your input.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home