Thursday, April 20, 2006

The Problem of Evil

It's close to 5 AM as I write this, and there's no way I'm going to get into all of the thoughts provoked by my screening of next week's 9/11 thriller United 93. The film can be approached at so many angles, so many conflicting angles. Tragedy as entertainment. Movies that are critic-proof. Can we in actuality say that a movie is good even though the events depicted are absolutely horrible--in other words, are we doing a disservice to those who died by saying we "enjoyed" this movie? How this movie compares to the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. What I feel about 9/11, how my perspective of it is skewed, almost embarassingly skewed. And what about that other "Flight 93" movie that appeared on A & E in January? Do we dare even compare the films? This might take hours to write in the way that I want. Just know this: I think it might be the most intense movie ever made. Critics throw hyperbole around to the point that it loses its meaning. But trust me when I say I can't think of another film that has left me more physically/mentally drained.

As an afterthought, I caught Friends With Money. There was only one way I could have seen this movie in the same night, and that was seeing it before United 93.

1 Comments:

At 4/20/2006 07:46:00 AM, Blogger Jade said...

There are going to be a lot of conflicting emotions around this movie.
I saw the more full lenght trailer last night when I saw "Thank you for Smoking" (good but could have been funnier).
It's going to be a "good" movie, but like you said, how much can you get away with saying that?? I can't wait to see it. I know it's going to be intense but I'm definitely of the opinion that it's been five years and it's time to see an inspiring movie like this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home