Sunday, May 07, 2006

The Kentucky Derby Remains Decadent and Depraved

 

I lost $20 and only had one mint julep, which was at the low end of the spectrum on both accounts. I saw enough drunken crazy college kids to last a year, and a fist fight that left someone bloody. It's the sport of kings, baby! There's nothing like Derby Day in the infield. The common man's experience is not like what you see on TV. I've been six years in a row now; from high class to low, it's the best people watching you could ever hope for.

PS: See the essay the title was inspired by here. And yes, Mr. Thompson does exaggerate a bit. Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

At 5/09/2006 08:06:00 AM, Blogger Amy said...

You should have seen Candy's face when you told her where ya'll were. It was priceless. Considering I have never been to Derby, she had to explain to me that the infield was like Mardi Gras. I picked Bluegrass Cat (#13) as my horse, right before the race. I was pleasently surprised that he came in 2nd. Not bad for a novice. . .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home