Wednesday, August 04, 2010

So Now We're Just Remaking Titles?




So according to this article posted at Bloody Disgusting today, the Weinstein's have hired a writer for their remake of "An American Werewolf in London." Why a great film such as this has to be remade is beyond me, but fine, whatever? I'm not against remakes in general, but I fail to see the point with most of them. But if you want to take a crack at it, be my guest.


However, apparently Harvey and Bob are actually going to steer away from the original source material, not to mention they have hired Fernley Phillips to write the script; his previous credit would be the god-awful "Number 23." So this being the case, why don't you just make your own original werewolf movie and call it anything else other than AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN "FUCKING" LONDON?


And this is where my problem with most remakes lies. All the studios and producers are really doing is taking a title that has relevance with a group of people and slapping it on their own bullshit hoping to make a few extra bucks. Last time I checked, you can make a good movie with a fresh title and people will come. But I digress.


Ironically, Chris and I were talking this past weekend about how the only good horror remake of the past decade was arguably 2004's "Dawn of the Dead." And I would also argue that the only problem I have with the film is that it's called "Dawn of the Dead" because other than a setting at a mall it has so little to do with the original source material.


And what does not sticking with the source material mean? I would assume that you would still have to have the damn werewolf in London. Maybe it will be so meta...aww fuck it! So irritating!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home