Tuesday, November 18, 2003

Two movie reviews, and some football:

MASTER AND COMMANDER: I have yet to dislike a Peter Weir film. If you ask me, I thought THE TRUMAN SHOW should have won Best Picture in 1998, but hardly anyone agrees with me, and it wasn't even nominated. Here is a great thriller, told like a horror movie, but imagine the excitement of the victims trying to chase the killer! The boat battles are quite good, but the strategy involved is what held my attention. Russell Crowe, who I've always enjoyed, gives a performance that has more humor in it than in any Crowe performance before it--if you can recall a movie where he shows lightheartedness before this one, please tell me, because I can't think of one.

LOONEY TUNES: BACK IN ACTION: I love the Looney Tunes of old, but the newer versions with this movie and SPACE JAM really strip away the fun. I'll start with Bugs Bunny, who is the flagship character. Do you know what a friend may sound like if he does a good Bugs impersonation? That's what he sounds like, now. It's certainly not Mel Blanc, and it's certainly not uncanny. His character has changed from subtly devious to outwardly devious. Every single action Bugs takes now is done with a wink, a knowing look, a tipoff. I've never had anything really bad to say about Steve Martin, even though his career in the past 10 years has been atrocious, but I have something bad to say now. This is Steve Martin overacting without one ounce of his usual wit. The movie is stolen from everyone by the background gags. Joe Dante took a long time to work between this and SMALL SOLDIERS (which I liked), and the results do not show, although it's probably a better movie in his hands than anyone else's.

This past week of the Titans shows what didn't happen the past few weeks. I mean, this game could have easily been 31-3, but they turned the ball over a lot, which was unusual. People are making a big deal about Fred Taylor's comments, but you know what, until that guy plays a full season (hell, he didn't even play the whole game, he's so soft), or wins anything, what he says delivers little impact. What else is new? Here's the guy after 3 Titans wins over the Jags in 1999-2000 that couldn't admit that the Titans were better. You'd think if the guy were so bitter about all of this, he'd take the game in his hands and help his team win.

And fantasy football. I can't express the anger I felt when I saw the 49ers still throwing to Terrell Owens when the game was essentially over. And two passes in the 4th Quarter allowed my nemesis, Kool and the Gang, to win. Damn you, Phil Barnes! Damn you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home