Sunday, June 13, 2004

I can't help but think that the Harry Potter review probably attracted a lot of keyword searches in the engines. People just looking for Potter info and memorabilia and stuff. That's kind of funny...I wonder what they think of these posts?

THE STEPFORD WIVES: The only movie I saw this weekend, believe it or not, with CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK, SAVED, and GARFIELD hitting screens this week. Well, this movie is a lot like how I felt about THE CABLE GUY when I first watched it, but with no chance of redemption since there is no dynamic performance to bring you back (yes, I now actually like watching THE CABLE GUY). My original perception of that film and now this new dark comedy directed by Yoda himself (I'm sure that's written a lot, but you cannot overemphasize), Frank Oz (DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS, IN & OUT, BOWFINGER), is that it doesn't know whether to be a comedy or a horror flick. I have not seen the original, but I have learned that it was played out to be straight horror. Nicole Kidman, who is everpresent this year, turns in a fine performance, but in another, funnier movie it would have been better. Matthew Broderick, who I always find likable, turns in usual good work. But there's not much to be entertained by, and as always, there are moments of laughter, just not enough. And not sick enough for a dark comedy, either. Very tame.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home