Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Olympic Scandal

I'm not sure what to think about the US basketball team. Not that they suck, or that they aren't trying hard - we know that - but I don't know what I should cheer for. There's something about ignorant jerks playing poorly that makes me and so many others happy, but this time it's us! We dodged a bullet by not having Clemens on our side in the Olympics, but now...

So, here are our choices.
1. Root for the team and hope they turn it around. Seems unlikely.
2. Stay with the team as they lose, and think about ways that they can rebuild using the current system.
3. Hope they continue to get humiliated, leading to some sort of real action by the players or the commissioner.

I can't decide if #2 or #3 is better... but, I'm going with #3 now. I won't be cheering too hard against them, but something about seeing Greek fans go nuts with a victory today doesn't kill me. Turns my stomach a bit, but it might be for the long term good. God help us, but I don't think I'm alone on this point.

Also, until I see some attendance figures, I'm not joining the empty seat bandwagon. I've seen some pretty empty seats before at the Olympics and the World Cup of soccer, and this year seems to match that. But, we'll see. Bandwagons sometimes have a point, but sometimes not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home