Thursday, March 31, 2005

The Passing of a Comic

I'm not sure how many people really know who Mitch Hedberg is. I know he was gaining some popularity over the last year, but he was definately one of the funniest comedians I have ever seen in my life. He unfortunately passed away on Wednesday from an apparent heart attack. For those of you who have never seen him or heard him, he was very much in the Steven Wright mold of deadpan, almost montone humor, but with a "hippie twist" as all of the articles I read like to say. He was just simply fucking hillarious. He had a lot of great quips such as:

"If you're a trapeze artist, and you stumble while walking down the sidewalk that is simply unacceptable."

That was at least one of my favorites. Of course me writing it down doesn't do it justice, because like all comedy it's in the delivery. But he's definately up there with the likes of Lewis Black, Dave Attell, and Jake Johanssen in the modern comic venue. He was a hell of a talent and seemed like a hell of a guy. I know I'm going to miss him.

2 Comments:

At 4/01/2005 10:23:00 AM, Blogger Kennelworthy said...

Me too. He was the best stand up comedian I'd ever seen, as far as how much I laughed.

If you go to Wikipedia and type in his name there is an archive of his jokes--I couldn't think of any that weren't listed there.

A buddy of mine saw him last year at Zanies and said he was awesome. I'll regret having not gotten to see him live before he died.

37?! Sheesh. Of course, he was clearly a user of many drugs, and that may have taken its toll on his body. Freaking hilarious guy, though.

He also has a CD that is uproarious. Check it out if you've never heard it.

 
At 4/02/2005 06:13:00 PM, Blogger Jonathan said...

Oddly enough, the drug thing crossed my mind too, but then I read where he had actually been drug free for the past five years. He kept up the stoner facade for his stand-up however, so who really knows?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home