Friday, April 08, 2005

Entertainment Notes...

-I think Fever Pitch will be a bust, as Red Sox fans will be too crazy to watch it. And those that do see it will only do so to rip it in a column.

-It's worth a look to see the original Fever Pitch, an English movie about the soccer team Arsenal. And I certainly recommend reading the book, an obsessive take on being a soccer fan in England around 1990. I took it in in one day.

-I have seen one episode of "Alias". It was the first of the fourth season. I was bored.

-I still consider "Rocky" to be over-rated. A film is not great simply because it broke new ground! Those that came after it, like "Hoosiers", are better.

-I saw an ad for the "Hitchhiker's Guide...". It made it look like a serious movie, which was terribly disappointing. Did I see that wrong?

-If Lucas screws up Episode III, with the creation of Darth Vader and everything... then these last three movies never happened. I mean that they will disappear from our collective consciousness faster than that "Gone With the Wind" book sequel did.

-Every blog post I created, I do a Ctrl-A and a Ctrl-C before I hit Post. Just to be sure. I hate it when it doesn't post correctly. Blogger is getting incredibly slow these days. Google just added another Gig to my Gmail account (let me know if you want one), so why can't they add a little more space for Blogspot?

4 Comments:

At 4/08/2005 09:37:00 PM, Blogger Jonathan said...

I don't like Rocky because it broke new ground, and I've never heard anyone say that's why they like it. I like Rocky because it's a good movie, but Hoosiers is a better movie. As far as "Fever Pitch" goes, I feel you're reluctant to see it because it takes Hornsby's novel and changes it up. "High Fidelity" did the same thing and was a very good film. You don't have to be completly faithful to a novel and film it word for word to make a good movie. I believe you just have to take its essence and translate it onto film. The mediums are too different for a straight adaptation. Look at the Harry Potter movies; those are basically page for page adaptations, and they're very slow and boring at times.

 
At 4/08/2005 09:40:00 PM, Blogger Jonathan said...

Oh, also, I agree with you on the Star Wars comment wholeheartedly; the last two sucked, and to be honest, I have ripped "Return of the Jedi" from my memory as well. As far as the "Hitchiker" preview, I don't know which one you saw, but the three different ones I've seen have all had a comic angle.

 
At 4/08/2005 09:48:00 PM, Blogger Mike said...

I think Rocky was important because it was original, and that a lot of people think it's good because of that, whether they say so or not. Not necessarily you, though.

You don't have to be completely faithful to a book for it to be a good movie - in fact, it often kills it. But making Fever Pitch into what the previews make it look like is different in some very unenjoyable ways. And I don't think the two of them should have been on the field after Game 4, either.

I loved "High Fidelity", the book and the movie. I can identify with the music thing, of course! Although I can do without Jack Black.

And the same for "About a Boy". Good book, good movie.

I'll take your word on the Hitchhiker thing. I didn't get a great look, anyhow.

My god, is our blog active! I love it. Glad you came back, Johnny.

 
At 4/08/2005 10:02:00 PM, Blogger Jonathan said...

I am glad to be back; I'm glad to have a computer; I'm glad to have comcast high speed. I'm glad to have all of this free time to bug the hell out of you guys everyday with blogs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home