Friday, April 08, 2005

Why I Never Blog Anymore

I am often asked by some of you who write and read at the L&N why I suddenly stopped my steady production of blog posts.

Some of the reason, certainly, is that I no longer have internet access at home, and am forced to do all my blogging (and e-mailing, and surfing) during work hours. Of course, often times during work hours I am required to work, so I just slid into a new routine of not blogging very often.

Well, yesterday you guys had my ire up. I wanted to jump into the Alias debate with a vengence. I spent an hour writing a post about the show and how I agreed and disagreed with both of the two who were discussing it. Then I clicked the publish button.

Then freaking stupid-ass Blogger timed out and once again I lost my entire freaking post.

So I went on L&N and tried to post a comment on one of the Alias posts, letting that serve as my venue. But when I clicked on "post a comment" I got another d*** freaking crappy ass time out. Page cannot be found.

Today, having calmed a little from my Blogger frustrations, I decided to try again. I spent about a half an hour typing a long post about Phil Mickleson, and how nuts it makes me that everyone in the media mocks his weight (you can't hear a national or local radio sports host even discuss Lefty without saying the words "big" or "man boobs")...I mean, the guy's a great golfer. Just because he isn't lean and muscular we have to bring it up every time we say his name? Jim Rome is the worst about this, by the way. This is what's wrong with America...is that there's pressure everywhere in all forms to be skinny and buff. I personally don't know anyone who's skinny and buff, and it just sticks in my craw that we can't just let lefty be a golfer. I mean, the Golden Bear himself has man boobs at this age, but no one's ripping on him for being fat!

Anyway, then I hit the dreaded "publish post" button again...and I'll let you guess what happened.

Yup. Another time out. I lost my entire post.

Now sure, I could type my posts in Word or WordPad and then copy them into the box on Blogger, and then I'd have my post saved in case the time outs occurred. But I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO DO THAT.

The fact of the matter is that Blogger is riddled with problems. Constant time outs. Constant errors. Constant lost posts that never got published.

And that, my friends, is why I never blog anymore. I can just as easily send Chris an e-mail about my views...or walk down the hall and chat with a coworker about a movie I loved. Until Blogger fixes their problems...I fear my motivation to write posts might be a bit lacking. Love the site, love writing for it, love the hell out of reading what you guys write. But I just don't have enough time and access to the internet to be writing every post two or three times until it finally publishes.

But who knows...something big will happen in the world of sports or film in the next few days to make me want to write a post again...and I'll be back at it...typing with my fingers crossed, hoping Blogger doesn't single me out again for persecution. I'm wishy washy like that, I guess.

6 Comments:

At 4/08/2005 03:24:00 PM, Blogger PaulNoonan said...

New from Blogger:

Can I recover a lost post?

Sometimes, due to circumstances beyond your control, your post may seem to vanish into thin air. The Internet is a dangerous place: browsers can crash, network connections can go down just when you click "Publish," or you may just accidentally move on to a new page without realizing you had an unfinished post left behind you.

Luckily, we've got a nifty little feature that can save you from a lot of these cases. Periodically, as you write a post, the text of your post will get saved to a cookie on your browser. That way, even if something crashes, you may still be able to get your text back. Just go back to the posting form and look for the "Recover post" link.

Click that link, and anything that was saved in the browser's cookie will be filled into the posting form. You're saved!

Notes:

This feature is not guaranteed to work every time you lose a post, but it's always worth a shot.

You'll need to be logged in to the same blog that lost the post, and on the same browser, in order for this to work.

Don't type anything new in the posting form before trying to recover or that new text may overwrite your old cookie.

http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=1125

 
At 4/08/2005 04:01:00 PM, Blogger Kennelworthy said...

Thanks Paul. I actually didn't know about that for the first post I lost. I got so infuriated that I went digging with Blogger Help and found it. Alas, when my second post disappeared, the "recover post" option did not work for me.

 
At 4/08/2005 05:24:00 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Back in the day when I was writing posts from the library, this was a common problem...leading to heaps of frustration, especially when they started a 10-minute limit--this is why you see, in 2003 and part of 2004, my posts covering about ten films each with one line or a small paragraph. I had to write quickly AND hope they'd publish--and oftentimes I'd leave empty-handed.

I don't blame you. But I hope you reconsider--even if it requires you sending me an e-mail, me logging in as you, and posting it. That would work nicely I think.

 
At 4/08/2005 05:48:00 PM, Blogger Kennelworthy said...

Well I was being a bit dramatic for the sake of my post. I don't plan on giving it up forever. It's just frustrating to have finally found a few things to be passionate enough about to want to write about them...only to have Blogger foil me again.

Today it's frustration with Blogger. Tomorrow I'll start to forget. By Monday I'll probably have something passionate to say again. And maybe by Tuesday Blogger will have let me post my thoughts without delay or destruction.

 
At 4/08/2005 08:54:00 PM, Blogger Jonathan said...

I hope so, because the bloggers I've read of yours I've found very entertaining. Plus, you knew who Mitch Hedberg was and equally liked him, so now we have bonded.

 
At 4/11/2005 09:36:00 AM, Blogger Kennelworthy said...

Yeah, bonding is good. And Hedberg was a friggin' genius. We'll always have Mitch!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home