Saturday, April 02, 2005

Ite, Missa est.

I can't say I know that much about Pope John Paul II, haven grown up Protestant. I do know that he tried to touch the entire world, and often succeeded. I was too young to remember him visiting Poland, which is widely credited with inspiring their anti-communist worker strikes, but was always moved by the story. And I clearly remember when he was warmly received by the people of Cuba, a country that still does not allow religion. I believe that a religious figure should be an inspirational figure, moving us to be better (I respect Billy Graham for the same reasons). He was beloved for some excellent reasons, and that counts for quite a bit.

The next Pope will have a lot to deal with, not least of all the incredible lack of priests in so many countries. Will he allow married priests, or even female priests? Will priests be imported from other countries? This is a growing problem in a heavily Catholic Louisville. And he will also have to confront the growing divide between the heavily liberal and conservative shifts in the church. I've actually visited many churches in the area, and it's interesting to see the liberal ones preach on the death penalty, and the conservative ones preach on abortion, picking and choosing the doctrines they follow. Can he keep them together, or are they headed for another splinter?

I'm not Catholic or a church-goer for now, but I certainly believe the Pope is incredibly important in the world. I hope the cardinals of the church are up to the task of replacing him. So much depends on their decision. I stepped into the Catherdral, wearing my Cardinal red, and offered a prayer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home