Wednesday, July 13, 2005

All Hail the Salary Cap!

From just a first glance at this NHL deal, and knowing that I am far from an expert here, I think this could be an excellent deal for small teams like our Nashville Predators. The real winners of this deal are the fans of the small-city teams. Assuming that the players accept the deal (a big if, I think), a salary cap can give them a great chance of getting the quality on the ice to compete. We already have a great GM in Poile, and now we need to pressure the team to increase spending to reach the $39 million or so salary cap. They will be getting a small amount of revenue sharing, and they must spend it on players. Put a competing team on the ice and they will be supported just like the Titans are. That is, strongly.

It could be exciting come August, as there could be 450 free agents! Boston only has four players under contract. Amazing. I hope that we can land a name player, or at least someone that most hockey fans will know. Then, we can use that for some momentum leading into the season. And some wins.

I think that the league will bounce back relatively strongly (then again, I'm a die-hard optimist, except where the Cincinnati Reds are concerned). The general lack of interest leading into this lockout means that there isn't that much further to fall. The die-hard hockey fan will come back. The casual fan didn't much care anyway, and will come back to see the die-hards. And the people who only pay attention to a winning team will come back with a winning team. If the NHL can make the game more exciting with the new rules, many will think that the lost season was worth it. And, something I just can't ignore, I can't help but believe that I've heard much more about hockey recently than I did in the entire 2003-2004 season. Fan interest was dead and apathy reigned. Now, apathy isn't an option for the sports fan. Everyone wants to know what happens in this unprecedented situation. For me, I can't wait. This should at least be interesting.

UPDATE: Of course, as a job seeker, I immediately go here.

4 Comments:

At 7/13/2005 04:08:00 PM, Blogger Chris said...

What excites me about the Predators is their attention to the farm system. They are freaking loaded. I think even in a non-salary cap return, the Preds would be doing well. I'm glad these guys didn't get impatient with the system.

Now--here's a random thought. The Milwaukee Admirals are the Nashville Predators' top minor league team, and in turn, the Nashville Sounds are the Milwaukee Brewers top minor league team. Geography rocks!

 
At 7/13/2005 04:31:00 PM, Blogger Kennelworthy said...

I think the players are going to accept the deal. Their representatives already did...that's what all this negotiation crap has been about.
They don't have a choice, really. Most of the player quotes in recent weeks have already sounded resigned to the new deal.

Plus, I read on TSN that Trevor Linden and the rest of the players are very likely to approve it...that the approval vote is just a formality. Of course, I don't know what source they used on that.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking.

But I'd be shocked. Stunned. Completely flabbergasted...if the players' union votes down the deal.

And you're right. The Preds are going to be awesome. Even if we can't sign Sully (which I hope we can) we'll find a couple free agents that are super talented...guys we would never have gotten before.

And then I get to watch them play...and win...and it's going to be great.

In the span of two days I've gone from depressed and resigned about the lockout to almost as giddy as I was before the first home playoff game. Bring on hockey! Bring on the silly mascot and the dancing vegetables!! Bring on the Bud Ice girls!

Go Preds!

 
At 7/13/2005 09:04:00 PM, Blogger Jonathan said...

I will be the first to admit I am not a huge hockey fan. I have seen a few Predator games live, and they were a lot of fun. I can't watch it on T.V. though. But there are a lot of die hard fans out there that want hockey back really bad, and I can totally respect that. So, not following the whole thing too closely, I don't have much of an opinion on whether it will work or not, but for your sakes and the many other fans out there, I really hope it does.

 
At 4/15/2008 09:41:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Should there be a Salary Cap in English Football?
Personally I think there should be! It’s just getting to be stupid money in football at the top of the premiership!
It’s always the same teams at the top proving that football success is based purely on money which ruins the idea of it being a sport! They’ve done it in rugby, basketball, hockey and American football and it makes the sports more competitive and better to watch!
I do a little Spread Betting from time to time and most matches don’t hold much surprise who is going to win, its boring! I want to see a team at the bottom pulling off an amazing season beating last seasons winners in a close fought battle!
Make things fair! It shouldn’t be about money!
Plus!
All there is all that money in the premiership and barely any of it stays in the UK so it’s not even helping the economy!
From my Spread Betting, if I ever win big (which is never, I’m unlucky) it’s still nothing compared to the average premiership players weekly wage!
This Rant was brought to you by Spread Betting Spike. 

 

Post a Comment

<< Home