Saturday, September 17, 2005

Football!

Since Chris is so mad at the NFL (sounds like me with baseball), I'm going to let him peek at the rest of the Titans season so he won't have to watch.

Sep 18 Baltimore - Sunday's game, to start. I'm afraid we're heading towards a horribly boring game here. Did you see Baltimore's offense last weekend? Horrible. And they're going up against a Titans D that looked just as bad. This week, I think Jamal Lewis will be a bit better (I'm not happy at all that he's on my fantasy team), and the Titans D will improve just as much, hopefully with a little more Pacman and a little less Willie Parker. On the other side of the ball, the Ravens D looked awesome for two and a half quarters last week until they wore down. They shouldn't wear down against an inferior Titans O. I'm less happy all the time with Brown and Henry - what a pointless redundancy. I'm thinking the Ravens will win 13-10, and am even considering betting a parlay on the Ravens and the under. This should be an ugly game between two bad teams that hate each other, bringing out the worst in both.

What makes me scared of my pick? Maybe Baltimore's D was so hyped up last week to face Indy that they can't get up for a much weaker opponent. Maybe Jamal Lewis is headed for another bad game in a truly bad season. Maybe Boller is even worse than I thought. But still, I think they're better than the Titans.

Sep 25 @St. Louis - The Titans inexplicably win this one. Martz is fired in the third quarter after calling a fake field goal on their own twenty. Nobody looks good in the proceedings.

Oct 2 Indianapolis - Oh my, big loss here. Like an all caps, big exclamation point loss. LOSS!!!

Oct 9 @Houston - Hey, the Oilers are back in Houston! We'll surely be reminded of that for a full week. I don't know what to say about Houston, but I guess they'll win this game, putting the Titans at 1-4. Pundits will point out that they team recently made the AFC Championship after going 1-4, causing me to laugh.

Oct 16 Cincinnati - Palmer just keeps getting better, and the Bengals should win this one. I'm waiting for Mike Brown to knock the wheels off this bus. (I envision it happening like this - either this year or next year, they falter a bit and only win six or seven games, leading to Brown firing the head coach. They hire some bum, and are back to being a three win team in one year. Would anyone be surprised by this?)

Oct 23 @Arizona - I don't buy this Arizona BS for a moment. Warner might not even be the QB at this point. Larry Fitzgerald withers on the vine. Titans win.

Oct 30 Oakland - Randy Moss will be boooooed lustily by the Nashville crowd, who hates players like that. This will inspire him to actually try on a few plays, where he will easily burn a bad secondary. Oakland wins.

Nov 6 @Cleveland - Boy, now THIS is a match-up I'm dying to see! The Titans should be good enough to win this one.

Week 10 BYE - Hopefully we can find a way to fit another DUI into this week, just like it's the off-season.

Nov 20 Jacksonville - Have I mentioned how much I like Leftwich? I think they further diffuse this once bitter rivalry with a sound victory.

Nov 27 San Francisco - Another game I'm dying to see. McNair manages to make a play or two and will the team to a narrow victory.

Dec 4 @Indianapolis - Another big loss, as Indy drives to home field advantage in the AFC... meaning they'll lose big at home in the playoffs instead of on the road this year.

Dec 11 Houston - Tennessee wins, I guess. Because they're at home.

Dec 18 Seattle - A great game with both teams doing everything they have to to lose. Because the Titans are a bad team, and Seattle is Seattle looking to make the playoffs. The Seahawks win, but aren't proud of it. They are forced to find some other way to not make it.

Dec 24 @Miami - They will have fallen back down to earth well before December. Ferrotte remembers that he's no good. Titans win a game.

Jan 1 @Jacksonville - Having just missed a playoff spot, the Jags come out to play anyhow and win handily. McNair retires in the off-season. Volek is a bust after one year as a starter, and the Titans have problems finding the right QB for a few years, just like the Packers.

The team should stink this year, and badly, so six wins sounds about right. Any time that they face a decent passing game, it could get ugly quickly. It's funny to be in Nashville when the football buzz seems to be around... the Commodores? Yes friends, two wins is an incredible result for them, and especially in coming from behind against Arkansas on the road! The QB, Cutler, is already a legend in my mind for being able to win even two games at Vandy in the final minute. Anything else is just gravy. The game will actually be on Nashville television this week, which doesn't always happen. I wonder how the few die-hards are feeling; likely very confused. Like maybe, maybe, maybe they could actually make a bowl game for the first time since 1983. I'd still bet against it.

2 Comments:

At 9/18/2005 11:00:00 PM, Blogger Jonathan said...

Mike, I'm glad you were wrong about the game today. This by no means makes the Titans a contender or anything, but it was a great win for the fan. After the high expectations of last year going down the tubes with all of the weekly injuries and what not's; not to mention only two wins at home all last season. It was nice for them to win the opener, and against the Ravens made it even more sweet.

 
At 9/19/2005 08:43:00 AM, Blogger Mike said...

I'm glad as well. I think we're seeing just how horrible the Ravens O truly is, and that should kill their chances. I still think the Titans are a six win team, and we could see some less than exciting games this year. But that's okay, as they tend to put some class acts on the field who are easy to cheer for, like McNair.

And God, do I hate the Ravens. What fun to beat them, and soundly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home