Saturday, November 26, 2005

The DVD Beat: War of the Worlds

I never got to catch this in the theaters this past summer. Planning the wedding, work, and a couple of vacations really took up the second half of my summer, so I missed a lot of the later relases. But I was always really wanting to see this, and I actually avoided a lot of reviews. In fact the only two I think I really read were Chris's and KW's, who both loved it, so I was pretty enthused. Obviously, if I was just going to repeat their praises, I would probably not be writing this, so here's a bit of a different perspective on what I consider the biggest dissapointment of 2005, at least so far.

Speilberg can create a visual landscape better than just about any filmmaker out there. He knows how to use specail effects to work in a story, and not take away from it. He has a wonderful gift of visual storytelling that few have been able to match. When he's on, he's on fire. Like we don't know the list already, but it amazes me everytime I think about the great films he has in his filmography: E.T., Jaws, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, the Indiana Jones films, Schindler's List, Jurassic Park (some don't give this one much credit, but I love it), Minority Report (most underrated film of a few years back), Duel (best television film ever made), The Color Purple, Empire of the Sun, Saving Private Ryan (not as huge a fan as most, but there's a lot of great things in the film), Catch Me If You Can. He definately has his share of mediocrocy: Always, 1941, Hook, The Lost World, and A.I.-Artifical Intelligence. However, I truly believe, that War of the Worlds falls somewhere else entirely. This is Speilberg's worst film.

This film works visually, don't get me wrong. I enjoyed looking at it. All of the attacks are expertly shot. The tripods look cool; the aliens (the brief glimpse we get of them) are pretty cool looking. I loved the visual of the train on fire; I loved the scene where the alien device is scanning the farmhouse. Where this movie fails, where so many movies fail, is the story and execution of all of the events that take place. There's very little cohesion in this landscape that Speilbeg has created for us. There are inconsistencies abound, no development of characters, a lot of contrivances. When it comes down to it, the film is a mess.

I decided to check out some reviews and postings on the internet to find out what everyone else thought of this film. IMDB users gave it a 6.8 which isn't stellar, but isn't all bad either. I checked out Rotten Tomatoes, and this is where I found some interesting quotes from critics reviews of the film. Here's a sampling:


"96% of the movie works so damn well that you'll be more than willing to forgive the 4% that does not."
-- Scott Weinberg, EFILMCRITIC.COM

"May be the most efficiently built engine of escalating terror you will ever encounter. But Spielberg's technique serves no purpose this time except the visceral."
-- Jeffrey Westhoff, NORTHWEST HERALD (CRYSTAL LAKE, IL

"You could do a whole lot worse if you�re looking through generic science fiction or disaster movies, but Steven Spielberg�s standards are usually much higher than this."
-- Brian Webster, APOLLO GUIDE

"War of the Worlds does what it was made to do: Entertain."
-- Staci Layne Wilson, HORROR.COM

"Spielberg, whose previous alien visitation movies (E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial and Close Encounters of the Third Kind) are considerably more benign than this film. But he does this more mature, nightmarish material nearly as well."
-- Jeff Vice, DESERET NEWS, SALT LAKE CITY

"A piece of perfectly realized, pure entertainment."
-- Joshua Tyler, CINEMABLEND.

The last one's my favorite. What the hell does that mean? Not only is it entertainment, but it's realized entertainment. This is only a scattering, but they all basically read the same thing. Most critics, when it comes to reviewing the works of revered filmmakers, and sometimes actors, even if they don't like the film try to come up with a way to give the film a decent review anyways. I've never understood this; if you don't like a film, you don't like a film. Call a turkey, a turkey, don't be a freaking coward. KW and Chris are not included in this treatsie, since they really liked the film; they didn't tiptoe around their feeling about it, or act like they were giving it more credit than it deserved. That's the kind of reviewing I totally respect, and that's the kind of reviews I try to give you as well.

I was actually kind of into the film for about the first half, and then it took a huge downhill turn for me. The scene on the farmland where all this destruction is going on before our eyes, and Tom Cruise acutally let's his son run off to see what's going on. Why? Because his son asked nicely I guess. This scene has no credibility to it whatsoever; not after every action that Cruise's character has taken up to this point. I was digging so much how Speilberg was using the hysteria of these central characters to lead the story. I loved that for once, we get the perspective of the common man instead of the military, or a lone musclebound antihero like say a Schwarzenegger who defeats the aliens all by himself. It only got worse from this point on.

Then Tom Cruise and his daughter (Dakota Fanning, who shows how good she is at screaming throughout the entire film) decide to hide out in an abandoned farmhouse near by with a crazy, gung-ho kind of guy played by Tim Robbins. This is the defenition of a stereotypical Hollywood paranoiac. Robbins does what he can with the role, but it's an awful character, just plain awful. His role serves no purpose in the film except to build-up to what Cruise has to do to him. I don't want to give too much away for the few who haven't seen this, but let's just say this is supposed to lead to Cruise's realization of how bad a parent he has been. Yep, that's right, Speilberg has turned "War of the Worlds" into a movie about being a good parent. And the Cruise/Robbins confrontation is supposed to be the big turning point. After this, I assume Cruise is a good father. How you could possibly get that from all of this, I have no idea, but I'm pretty sure that's what Speilberg is going for here.

And after this, ten more minutes go by and the movie ends. And that's no joke. It just freaking ends. I knew what ending was coming. I've read the book, seen the original; I am well aware of the ending. In the book, it works pretty well; it's the type of ending that you can use a novel to expand a little bit and build up to it. In the original film, they do have some build-up. Speilberg doesn't handle it well at all; he just let's it happen. No build-up, no explanation, no nothing. The film just freaking ends. It's as if the studios said this movie needs to clock in at two hours, you get no more. And the movie's running time conviently enough is, 1:55.

I could go on and on. Terrible dialouge and exposistion. One of my favorites being at the beginning when Cruise's boss says "You know what you're problem is?" (which is a stupid cliched line to begin with and never leads anywhere interesting) and then never even answers his own question. A lot pointless drivil like that surrounds this film. The overall theme of good parenting is not a bad one, and Speilberg has tackled this subject a lot better when he introduced to us Indiana Jones's father in "The Last Crusade," but admist all of the chaos and explosions it never materializes into anything of worth. Maybe he should have just made this a mindless action film; I hate to dredge the bottom here, but I probably would have enjoyed that much more. Because whatever deep thoughts he was trying to show us here get lost quickly and quietly.

Overall, the film really doesn't work on any level for me except visually, but I've seen a lot of well shot films that aren't worth a damn. "Munich" looks awesome, and I hope it is, because I would hate to have to suffer through two bad Speilberg films in one year. That would really beg the question of whether there's any justice in the world.

4 Comments:

At 11/26/2005 06:37:00 PM, Blogger Chris said...

The problems with the film, I feel, stem from the lightning-fast production. It was shot in the fall of last year, meaning they shot it, edited it, and got some special effects in like 5 or 6 months before the release.

I still like it, but it has heavy flaws for sure. I think its strengths outweigh those flaws a great deal. But there are many on your side on this one.

 
At 11/26/2005 10:14:00 PM, Blogger Kennelworthy said...

Well, my feeling is that Spielberg's biggest downfall is unflinchingly going for the happy ending. In nearly every film, he chooses to give us the happy ending. War of the Worlds is no different.

I don't mind the son running off in the middle nearly as much as I mind him MIRACULOUSLY showing up at the end. He goes over that hill, and a few moments later the fire and destruction come back up over the hill our way, and the son is clearly dead...as he should be. Dumb-ass. But no...at the end...when Cruise gets to his wife's parent's pad...there's the son. No explanation whatsoever is given for this miraculous survival, and it did get on my nerves. It also got on my nerves that the wife's parents' street seems to have been completely unscathed during the attack. They're fine, the parents are fine, the kid is there...(how did he get there ahead of Cruise anyway?!)...just shoddy storytelling in the name of serving the happy ending.

And I also thought the scene where Cruise, daughter, and Robbins hide in the abandoned basement from the alien probe arm...man is that scene ever a rip-off of Spielberg's own Minority Report...in a lot of ways, specifically the "spiders" scene where he hides in the tub.

Overall, I think the film is good. Very tense. Very exciting. Very scary. Great visuals. Cruise is great. Dakota is great.

But yeah, to echo you guys...there are certainly flaws. My problems were mostly with the ending. The son should have stayed dead, period.

But there's something charming about a filmmaker who believes so strongly in happy endings that he just can't end on a dark note. Maybe the films suffer for it...but I like the "world view" in Spielberg that his happy endings betray...that is, that there's always a silver lining. Good can prevail.

As far as your list, though, I want to point out two things: As much as Lost World was derivative of the first Jurrasic Park film...that scene with the portly guy trying desperately to save the heroes who are trapped in the camper that the Rex pushed over the edge of the cliff...that is some freaking riveting cinema.

Second...you can throw things at me if you like...but I enjoyed AI. I tried not to view it as a Spielberg film, as much as a Kubrick film that was completed by his friend, Spielberg. I don't think Steven would have made some of the choices he did in A.I. if he hadn't been desperately trying to film Kubrick's vision. And I think Kubrick loves long shots...slow-builds...and cloudy symbolism.

Of course, A.I. suffers from the same "ending" issue...not as much because it is happy...but more because it's evident Spielberg just didn't want to end on a downer. I don't think A.I. is for everybody...but neither is 2001 or Eyes Wide Shut or The Shining....and at least on this one mediocre film...I'll give Steven a pass...just because he was trying to make choices his dead friend would have.

 
At 11/26/2005 10:43:00 PM, Blogger Jonathan said...

You know, A.I. was one of those movies either you got into it or you didn't. I didn't, but a lot of people did. It's one of those movies you really want to love, but sometimes you just can't; that's the boat I fell into. "Eyes Wide Shut," which you mentioned, is a film like that for a lot of people. I loved the hell out of it, but most people were just like what the hell? Those are kind of fun films to have though; not to be too Harry Knowles. It feels like you're in on a secret or something.

 
At 11/26/2005 11:26:00 PM, Blogger Kennelworthy said...

Yeah. I thought Eyes Wide Shut was totally engrossing...up until the end.

I was completely immersed in Cruise's main character's journey. I was really into finding out where his decisions along the way would lead. I was there, man. Kubrick had me.

Until the end. When the ending basically--for me--just shrugged off the entire film, and left me saying...just as you mentioned..."what the hell?"

Kubrick was on to something...with the way he told stories and filmed them....for sure. And while I was there...totally enthralled for two hours on Eyes Wide Shut...he lost me at the end, as far as my overall view of the film.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home