Saturday, January 28, 2006

All Hail the CW

So, CBS and Warner Bros. are going to merge UPN and the WB into the CW starting next fall. And I don't think anyone realizes including the corporate suits, what a huge opportunity this could be. I really hope these two powerhouses realize they have the dough to play on the edge with this thing for a few years and come up with some original programming. They really have nothing to lose here. I realize they're going to keep a lot of their top shows (Smallville, Everybody Hates Chris, America's Next Top Model, and Veronica Mars which is fairing suprisingly well against a strong Wendsday night line-up). And that's fine.

But take a note from cable stations like FX and TNT, and give us some stuff that the networks haven't seen before. Hopefully weak ideas like the purported "Smallville" spinoff, "Aquaman," will hit the wayside. Let the other networks scrounge for unoriginal programming like that. You have to get viewers, so why not throw us some creative curveballs to do this.

None of this will probably happen. We'll be stuck with the umpteenth "Moesha" clone, and maybe even another "Star Trek" down the road, but wouldn't it be cool if they tried something different. I'm just saying.

1 Comments:

At 1/29/2006 09:31:00 AM, Blogger Jade said...

I saw this announcement and was a bit puzzled by the way they phrased it. Something about how both UPN and the WB hadn't really made their mark.... I think that's totally true for UPN. That station sucks and I could definitely deal with not having it. But the WB has been big since I was in high school and has had tons of original programming that people latched onto (dawson's creek being a memorable one) and were pretty big deals in their day. So what's up with saying that they are not well-known?

Anyway, I hope this merger turns out to be a good thing. I'm as big a star trek fan (while still being a "normal" person) that you're going to find and I really hope they will not be doing another series for at least a decade.
::rant over::

 

Post a Comment

<< Home