Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Let's Go Bowling!

I've heard a few people talk that they wish we could revert to the old system of bowl games. Well, if that were the case, USC would have played Penn State in the Rose bowl, and Texas would have played Notre Dame or somebody in the Cotton Bowl. Would that be more acceptable? I think not. We still need the true championship game. I would accept a plus one system, where if USC and Texas both won their bowl game and extra game would be played a week later. In fact, I'd prefer it. It's such a good idea it would never be implemented.

Along those lines, I've heard a number of people complain about the match-ups in the other three BCS games. Well, again, in the old system similar games would have been played. Florida State would still be in a top bowl as ACC champion, and West Virginia as Big east champ. The conference winners are rewarded, as they should be.

One point in favor of having bowl games: I like a system where half the teams end on a win and feel like the season has been a success. Too much emphasis is placed on winning the title when so many teams don't have a chance. Let's let teams enjoy and celebrate an eight win season as it should be celebrated - as a very successful season.

In tonight's game, I really can't make a call. I think Texas has been talking too much, but that too many people think USC will run all over them. I think it will be a close game.

3 Comments:

At 1/04/2006 11:22:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that if they are going to keep the BCS, so that #1 plays #2, there should be a plus one bowl only if there is another team with the same record and also desreving of a championship try that year. For example, Auburn last year.

I also think that the bowls should do away with conference contracts and put only the top teams in the big games. Yes, FSU played a tight game when everyone thought they'd get run. But, the top games should be for the top teams, and even though they won the ACC, FSU is NOT a top team.

But, to contrast my own point, would WVU been given a chance if they only took ranked #'s 3-6? Probably not. But they showed they should be there.

It's always going to be debated, someone is always going to be left out. Money will always be more important than record, conferences, or the players themselves. Play your asses off and you will be rewarded, unless we dont like you or think your fans wont travel or your school is small.

The best thing about the bowl system is that it gives us something to bitch about for another year!

As far as tonight's game goes, go Texas! This is not just a bitter ND fan here, either. I'm sick of how the 2005 USC team is the "greatest ever". THEY HAVEN'T WON THE CHAMPIONSHIP YET!!!! They are a great team, but they are far from done! Also, why do people tout them as winning 3 straight (if they win tonight)? They received a certificate of achievement 2 years ago from the AP. There was only one national champ game, there was only one champ trophy given, and it resides at LSU. They are going for a repeat, not a threepeat. Why are they getting credit for something they didnt do!! Yet, LSU ran OU and gets no credit.

Hook 'em Horns!

 
At 1/04/2006 01:44:00 PM, Blogger Chris said...

I like the +1 system as well, because all we have ever heard after every college season is how this team didn't get to prove they were the best, and that they should have had a chance, and so forth.

The playoffs would be exciting, though, as much as it would ruin the spirit of college football (the question would be, do you prefer the excitement of playoff atmosphere to the "half the teams end on a winning note" argument?). However, even under those circumstances, you'll never get a perfect "end-all" system--even the NCAA basketball tourney leaves off teams that feel they were deserving of being 1 of the 64 teams.

 
At 1/04/2006 11:49:00 PM, Blogger Amy said...

I will let ya'll debate the BCS system, I just wanted to say:

HOOK EM HORNS!!!!! My father is a huge Texas fan and I was raised to know the difference between burnt orange and TN orange. My beloved Bulldogs choked Monday, so I am glad that the Horns played well tonight. How about Vince Young?! 200 something yards in passing, 200 something yards in rushing, three TDs and a two-point conversion. I am impressed! Okay, I will shut up now!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home