Monday, February 13, 2006

Movie Releases, 2/17

I think I've spent this vacation well, not watching any movies. No doubt about it, the 2005 experiment kicked my ass. Anyway, I hear I haven't missed much with last week's flicks. Back to the grind this week, though.

I'm beginning to wonder if Julianne Moore has a personal experience with child abduction. I'm not saying this to be crass or insensitive, but she comes out with her second such film since 2004's The Forgotten in Joe Roth's direction of the Richard Price novel Freedomland, which Price adapted. Samuel L. Jackson will likely yell a bunch, which means I'm there! Edie Falco, Mrs. Tony Soprano, also stars.

Also, the dogs-in-peril movie Eight Below arrives this week. I've reviewed it, and I liked it quite a bit.

And, also, the big movie of the weekend will likely be the parody Date Movie. Alyson Hannigan stars in this spoof--the first part of the trailer looked funny, then it looked like your typical pop culture pile-on, as if just doing scenes from other movies is inherently funny. But, there's the possibility that there will be some fun here and there.

Also, because we live in Nashville, the next Christian-themed movie comes out this weekend. It's called The Second Chance. Christian pop star Michael W. Smith stars. Could be decent, or could be unbelievably awful.

4 Comments:

At 2/13/2006 10:05:00 PM, Blogger Jonathan said...

I've got high hopes for "Freedomland," might be putting up a review of the book later this week if I can finish it in time (It is a tome). Next to "Inside Man" and "V For Vendetta" this is one of the movies I'm looking most forward to this Spring.

"Date Movie" looks fucking awful. It looks like the bastard son of "Not Another Teen Movie," which was a piece of shit in it's own right. Parodies when done well are something to behold (Airplane, Young Frankenstein), but the majority of the time their just "wink, wink, nod, nod" kind of things. There always the most over the top and obvious references and puns. The preview makes me want to vomit. I feel this strongly about it, I really do. But like Chris said, it'll make it's money; probably 20 million or so.

 
At 2/14/2006 08:30:00 AM, Blogger Jade said...

Just tell me one thing - is Freedomland exactly like "forgotten"? Because that's immediately what I thought of when I saw the little boy disappear in the commercial...

If it's different I want to see it. I'm a fan of both Moore and Jackson, but if it's just a recap I have no interest.

No interest in date movie either. I'm sick of raunchy comedies. They need some more innocent fun at the movies lately. I guess that's what Curious George is for....

 
At 2/14/2006 10:14:00 AM, Blogger Chris said...

I think FREEDOMLAND is a lot less, if any, supernatural than THE FORGOTTEN. It's more crime procedural, and it looks like Falco's character is one of those "when the law fails you" child finders.

 
At 2/14/2006 10:45:00 AM, Blogger Jade said...

Well, there may be hope for it yet then.

You know, you guys should set up a movie discussion board or something. That'd be fun. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home