Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Is Nashville Becoming A Hockey Town?

After the 9-4 win against Calgary (a sellout), the Preds nearly sold out the building again on Monday's 4-2 win over the Blues (Mike, George, Doc, and I were present). Last night, in most of the same company at the Flying Saucer downtown, nearly everyone in the joint was cheering on the Preds on the big screen as they downed the Red Wings 3-2 in a shootout win. (And, I might add, not paying attention much to the usual Tuesday trivia night and the crucial final question).












The answer to my title question is based only if you were not to compare it to football. Even though the Titans emerged as one of the league's worst teams last season, The Coliseum easily got 60,000+ a game.

No, my question is on this basis: If you like hockey, and you live in Nashville, you're probably pretty damn excited about the Predators' level of play recently. 8-0-2 in ten games, beating teams like Vancouver and Calgary like a drum. You can point to several reasons--Brendan Witt being a much-needed extra big defenseman, the return of David Legwand (although he didn't play in the third period or overtime last night--that's disheartening), and the absolutely ferocious play of Darcy Hordichuk (who broke the Blues' Christian Backman's jaw Monday night) and Jordin Tootoo. There are so many differences between this club and those of the past. We're also seeing Paul Kariya start to knock a whole bunch of goals home along with Steve Sullivan, who just became the first Predator to score 30 goals in a season.

I must say, after the Wings got the 2-1 lead with blinding quickness on the power plays, I just sat in awe at how good the Wings are compared to the Preds. And then, all of the sudden, the Preds made it equal. The Preds still need to do some work if they ever meet the Wings in the playoffs, but at least now we know the field has been leveled a bit.

4 Comments:

At 3/22/2006 09:24:00 PM, Blogger Jonathan said...

I know ass about hockey when it comes to statistics and what makes a team better, so I have very little to go on other than what I read and watch. But I would think that in a one game playoff the odds would have to go to Detroit, but in a seven game playoff? The Preds might not be on an even playing field, but they would have a better than average shot I would think. And unless they just completely self destruct they should be the 4th seed by quite a gap going into the playoffs. Not too shabby at all.

 
At 3/23/2006 05:02:00 PM, Blogger Mike said...

I'd like to point out, though, that few at the bar were paying attention to the game before the shootout. But most of your points stand.

 
At 3/23/2006 05:28:00 PM, Blogger Chris said...

A moot argument to be sure, but there was also nothing much happening before the shootout to gauge the interest in the game.

 
At 3/27/2006 09:47:00 AM, Blogger J said...

I cannot tell you how stoked I was when we won that shoot out against Detroit. I'm a little sick of them to be honest.

Although, the past two games were kind of a bummer with such a huge loss. I'm seriously looking fwd to the playoffs. And where the heck do you guys sit at the games? I always look for you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home