Wednesday, April 05, 2006

So Long ESPN.com

I'm finally leaving. Since I first came to the internet in 1995 as a freshman in college, I've been visiting ESPN.com for my sports information. I was sucked in with the live updates on games, and came to love certain columnists. I read Rob Neyer everyday, and cruised the site for other columns to read. I remember having three or four fantasy games going on at once. It was easy to read, easy to navigate, full of content, and likely took up a average of twenty minutes a day.

In time they've left their user friendly environment to gain the quick buck. Now Peter Gammons and Rob Neyer are behind the "Insider" platform, as is much of Bill Simmons archives. Tuesday Morning Quarterback was exiled. There are annoying ads that move and change the size of the screen, and now sometimes even block the main story. Almost all of the fantasy sports now charge. They force video on me when I visit, which is always annoying, but especially at work. And now real-time baseball scores and written play-by-play are under Insider as well, which is what finally led me to leave. I can get this for free from Yahoo, as well as all wire stories on my favorite teams, and so I will.

2 Comments:

At 4/05/2006 05:02:00 PM, Blogger Chris said...

I too hate the way ESPN.com evolved (devolved). I may visit once a month, if that--far off from what I used to. I wasn't aware that they put the scores under the insider thing--that's how infrequently I visit.

And what a funny thing about the insider deal--most of it in the past has been speculative crap like who is thinking of trading who to what team and so forth, and so it could easily be ignored. Now, they might as well put the whole website under insider status. That's where it's heading.

 
At 4/08/2006 08:27:00 PM, Blogger Jonathan said...

So long ESPN.com? I'm about ready to say so long, ESPN. With the exception of baseball games, I barely watch it at all anymore. They're actually going to start covering Domino tournaments in New York. Hockey didn't seem like a safe bet, but apparently Dominoes is a grand idea. Maybe it will work, who knows? Who would have ever thought poker would take off like it did. All of the analysts and anchors on shows like Sportscenter, NFL Tonight, Baseball Tonight, etc. just seem to be too smug for their own good. Whatever happened to just reporting the days events, and not showing us your ego full force.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home