Wednesday, March 29, 2006

A Little Sports Talk

-So, Chris Mortensen has the inside scoop on the Steve McNair story. McNair is supposedly claiming that he will not help mentor a young QB if that's the route the Titans take with their number three pick. Whether he said this or not, how is this even news? When has McNair ever claimed to be a mentor to a young QB? Wouldn't that mostly take place in practice which McNair rarely participates in? The funniest part about the supposed big breaking story was how it alludes to Brian Billick's comment about there being a great over thirty QB out there, and he said he wasn't talking about Kerry Collins. Could he be talking about Steve-O? Maybe, maybe not. But somehow Mortensen takes this to mean that McNair would love to play for Baltimore. You want to attest to the truthfulness of Mortensen's reporting, fine. But he is the one that had that breaking story a couple months ago where Jeff Fisher was going to end up as the coach of the Rams. Good scoop, Chris. That came to be true.

-Brett Favre is going to announce tomorrow in some big deal press conference whether or not he will be retiring. Early word is that he will return for another year. You know what? I don't give a shit. I'm so sick and tired of this "Will he or Won't he" bangfest that all of the sportscasters and analysts have at the end of the past three or four seasons. If you want to stay, Favre, stay. If you want to leave, leave. Why make it some dramatic cliffhanger at the end of every season. There are actually non-Packers fans in this world believe it or not. No offense, Doc. And don't the Packers fans get sick of this too? Shit or get off the pot. Whatever. Let's have some T.V. time devoted to more exciting things like, I don't know, a paintball tournament.

-Sports Illustrated devoted an entire issue to the Masters. You know what's more boring than watching golf? Reading 80 pages worth of material on it.

-Steroid Fever starts in a couple of days, or as most of us like to call it the Major League Baseball season. Will Bonds break the record? Will anyone care? Will anyone count it? Is he going to the hall of fame? Will Soriano make a good leftfielder? Will the Mets have spent a lot of money for nothing? Will the Toronto Bluejays and Baltimore Orioles make the AL East a four team division? Are the Cleveland Indians and Oakland A's for real this year? Will the "Baby Braves" pull off a miracle and win the East for the umpteenth time in a row? Will the NL West have a team finish over .500? Will the Cubs win the World Series? I only, personally, know the answer to the last question, and that is a resounding yes. All the other shit is chickenfeed as far as I am concerned. Hey, don't bash me, we all have fantasies that don't involve a Kelly Pickler/Katherine McPhee threeway. Actually, I would rather be involved in that, as long as they don't sing anything ever, ever again.

-NASCAR talk has been huge on the Nashville airwaves for the last year, and I am sick and tired of it. My favorite bits are always when people make the comment that us non-fans just don't understand all of the intricacies of the sport. You're turning left a lot and driving really fast. Occassionally you crash. I'm sorry; I didn't realize it was that complicated.

-And last, but not least, the New York Knicks are so bad that there is no way in hell they would win the NCAA tournament this year. That's right, I said it. Bring it on, Spike Lee. But before you beat me to a pulp, I would like to say, that "The Inside Man" rocked some serious ass.

4 Comments:

At 3/30/2006 12:37:00 PM, Blogger Doc said...

One of your best posts, Chico. And yes, I get EXTREMELY sick of waiting and waiting and waiting for Favre's decision each year. If he thinks he has something left, he can have a special year. If not, go ahead and take the Charger's route and start an unproven benchwarmer like Rodgers. By the way, seeing Aaron Rodgers throw the ball, in person, during training camp at Lambeau last summer got me excited about the Packer's future. This guy might not be Brett Favre, but he can make some pretty tough throws.

I think the Cubs will be a sleeper this year. They'll win some series they're not supposed to every once in a while, and hopefully they'll start to peak at the right time; much like the Astros in every recent year. Apparently being one of the worst teams in the league at the All-Star break is a good thing. Who knew?

I disagree with the idea that the Knicks couldn't win an NCAA tournament game, or even the championship. The talent pool is still too great in the NBA. Stephon Marbury would break some poor college kid's ankles on any drive to the basket.

Oh yeah, I HATE NASCAR!

Cheers.

 
At 3/30/2006 12:44:00 PM, Blogger Jonathan said...

Yeah, the Knicks would probably win. I just wanted to get an "Inside Man" comment in my post. It was a goal I had set for myself, and I had to stick with it. I have way too much time on my hands.

 
At 3/31/2006 10:45:00 AM, Blogger PaulNoonan said...

Yes, we are sick of the Favre talk too. Also, we're going to suck royally next year. Thank God for the Brewers.

 
At 3/31/2006 11:22:00 AM, Blogger Jonathan said...

Did you just say Thank God For the Brewers? I don't know you, but I like you; a statement like that takes guts, and that's what L&N line is all about; well, and Katharine McPhee/Kelly Pickler threesomes...oh, and momemtum.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home