Sunday, June 18, 2006

Twilight Zone Moments

You ever get in a situation where you're not entirely sure how to act? Let me explain...I was at an Applebee's this afternoon and the Australia/Brazil World Cup game was coming on. I had been engaged in a conversation with an extremely beautiful bartender about World Cup action. She talked about how the U.S. got robbed yesterday and so on and so forth. When the Aus/Bra game came on, she started talking to some employees who were at a different table, and I guess the question came up, "Is this Austria or Australia?" She looked at me.

I said, "It's Australia."

The extremely hot bartender says, "I thought Australia was a continent."

I said, "It's a country and a continent."

Now, here's where the "I don't know how to act" part comes in--I couldn't figure out whether there was disagreement on this or not. There seemed to be, but I couldn't hear everything people were saying. An old guy on the other side of the bar remarked sagely, "Australia is a country." I was asked something again, I don't remember what, but I reiterated, "Yes, Australia is both a country and a continent. You learn that in the 2nd grade." There was some remark by one of the guy waiters about 2nd grade, but I didn't hear his (likely sarcastic) comment.

No one really argued with me, so I don't know if they ever were satisfied with the answer. But then again, I didn't want to berate the point either. I was sitting there, drinking a Mountain Dew, wondering if I was sitting there being made fun of for my belief in such a crazy concept! And then I wanted to run home, get on Wikipedia, print out the Australia page, and run back. "See! See! Here's proof!" But I would have likely gotten the "You're a crazy bastard" look, and an, "Ooookaaaayy." And then my chances with the hot bartender would diminish!

Anyway, I can at least take solace that I'm right. Dammit.

4 Comments:

At 6/18/2006 06:03:00 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Okay, I will first apologize for laughing. I have been in those situations before and all I wanted to do was Google the damn thing just to prove my point. Even if they were talking crap about you I would go back and talk to the hot bartender. Ask for her number, what is the worst that can happen, she doesn't give it to you? Hell, if you can pack up and move to NYC, you can ask the hot chick for her number.

 
At 6/19/2006 07:08:00 PM, Blogger Jonathan said...

This reminds me of a story I heard about a person trying to get Olympic tickets back when they had the Summer Olympics in Atlanta. A person from New Mexico called in to a branch of the ticket office to order some tickets for some event. The operator asked the person where they were calling from; the caller said, New Mexico. The operator kindly replied that the caller would have to call their own embassy to get some tickets. And if I remember correctly this was how the rest of the conversation went:

Caller - "No, New Mexico."

Operator - "I don't care if you're in New Mexico or old Mexico, you have to call your own embassy!"

And then the operator hung up on the caller.

 
At 6/19/2006 10:07:00 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Jonathan,

That is priceless! You gotta love public education. But then again, I feel like I need a passport when I head home to Cleveland (TN). Maybe New Mexico really isn't a part of the US. If so, I am going to have a long talk with my choir teacher because in the 50 state song, NM is part of it. . .

Okay, I am off to study geography so I am not a total blonde in public settings.

 
At 6/23/2006 02:02:00 PM, Blogger Jade said...

This was a priceless story and I loved it. Thanks. You guys need more random stuff like this. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home