Friday, September 22, 2006

Jackass 2

Directed by Jeff Tremaine
Paramount


I'll be the first to admit that I think the MTV show "Jackass" and its first two spawned movies are the dumbest things in the world. They may very well be a sign of a society in decline, or the apocalypse. But in this strange niche of mass horrification, "Jackass" and its sequel are a couple of the most ingenious movies ever made.

I couldn't watch "Jackass" or the movies alone; the real entertainment is being with a crowd of people all simultaneously getting grossed out or shocked. And in my watching of it, I become aware of the sensation of it all and get caught up in the buzz in the atmosphere. A movie or TV show that I probably would look away or change the channel on if I watched by myself becomes extraordinary entertainment in a group. Luckily, there was an excited group of employees with me watching this and I was able to get tangled up in the madness.

Do I really need to tell you anything about this movie? Those who actually got scared by Snakes on a Plane will get emotional heebee-jeebees watching real snakes in different segments during this movie--hell, even Bam Margera starts crying in one scene. There are a few segments with bulls. Tons of vehicular danger. Pranks. And more male anatomy than you can shake a snake at. There are gross-outs involving horses, pubic hair, and tons of vomit. Johnny Knoxville, you do Tennessee proud.

So--I recommend this movie on one caveat--watch it on a Friday or Saturday night, especially a midnight show. Any other time is practically a waste of time. This is why Jackass is a unique experience; it's rare a movie can be good and bad at the same time.

P.S.--Oh yeah--by the way--the big sell of the trailer for this movie was the guy getting his tooth pulled with a string attached to a moving vehicle--not here. Not in the movie. Kind of a letdown.

3 Comments:

At 9/23/2006 04:59:00 AM, Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

Since I can only see one movie this weekend, it's gonna have to be Jet Li's "Fearless," but I'll definitely be seeing this sublime grossout soon .. how could they love out the tooth-pulling? It must a be a ploy to drive DVD sales

 
At 9/23/2006 10:47:00 AM, Blogger Chris said...

I was wondering the same damn thing. The absolute seller in the trailer was not present--it reminds me of the "Major League" trailer where one of the best lines--"That ball wouldn't have gone out of a lot of parks." "Name one." "Yellowstone," somehow got yanked from the final movie and then was half-assed included into the sequel. But the DVD sales thing--I wouldn't doubt it.

 
At 9/24/2006 10:57:00 AM, Blogger Jonathan said...

They also did that in "Hot Shots." In the preview there's a scene where the chick asks Charlie Sheen, "Is that a cue ball in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?" and then he pulls out a cue ball from his pocket. Great joke; wasn't in the movie.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home