Monday, February 09, 2009

A-Roid!

I think nearly all of the star baseball players of the era in which I grew to love baseball are now tainted. I saw a random comment stating that now, no one compares to Ken Griffey, Jr. in the past 20 years because everyone else has the steroid shadow. Hard not to agree. I grew up loving Dale Murphy and Andre Dawson, who were all in the latter stages of their career, but all the guys who became prominent in the late eighties like Bonds, McGwire, Clemens, and Canseco are tainted. Unfortunately we'll never know exactly how long all of these guys took the drugs, because these are all good players without the steroids.

Now with A-Rod being yet another, seemingly final, piece in this steroid era, it's almost like nothing I've watched is real anymore.

So now, we hope Albert Pujols and Ryan Howard have managed to stay clean.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 2/10/2009 06:16:00 PM, Blogger John B said...

There is one thing that really bothers me about A-Rod's apology that nobody has hit on. First, he admits to taking PEDs. He says he knowingly took them to perform up to all the pressure he faced.

HOWEVER, he then follows it by saying, "i don't even know what I tested positive for." Really? If you know what you took and you know why and you know when, then how do you not know what you tested positive for? It seems like a last ditch effort to play the "someone gave me something that I thought was innocent but turned out to be roids."

It's really disturbing that he would come out and own this but yet slipped this into the conversation. Or, is it a sign that he was taking SOOOOOO many things that he doesn't even know which showed up?

Either way, it is something that doesn't sit right with me.

I agree with my boy Griffey, though. He has been my favorite player since he started and I have rooted for him since. I would be crushed to hear anything negative about him. He still has the prettiest homerun swing in baseball!

I also agree that they should release the other 103 players. It was wrong that A-Rod "private" results were leaked, but the others should be named in order to separate those cheaters from the rest.

 
At 2/12/2009 05:00:00 PM, Blogger Mike said...

I agree, we can all start liking Griffey a whole lot more. Maybe the reason he's been breaking down in the last decade so much is that he's normal, actually getting older like normal people do.

And yes, best swing in the game, no doubt.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home