Thursday, July 30, 2009

Just For Mike

Here Mike, 23 Films from 1984 that I would watch before Amadeus (The Best Picture Winner), and I don't think I'm alone:

BROADWAY DANNY ROSE, THE KILLING FIELDS, STOP MAKING SENSE, A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET, KARATE KID, GREMLINS, PARIS,TEXAS, BEVERLY HILLS COP, THE COTTON CLUB, 1984, THIS IS SPINAL TAP, ROMANCING THE STONE, TEMPLE OF DOOM, ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA, GHOSTBUSTERS, UNDER THE VOLCANO, THE GODS MUST BE CRAZY, STRANGER THAN PARADISE, TERMINATOR, A PASSAGE TO INDIA, STARMAN, DREAMSCAPE, BROTHER FROM ANOTHER PLANET

This being said, I do love "Amadeus," so once again what an incredible year for film. And it's only a matter of opinion except for the fact that I'm right and you're wrong. Enjoy. See you at Trivia next week.

4 Comments:

At 8/01/2009 12:15:00 AM, Blogger Mike said...

You'd watch The Gods Must Be Crazy over Amadeus? I liked the movie, but don't need to see it again.

But yeah, great year for movies. Three of my top ten are from it. And you don't even like The Natural.

 
At 8/01/2009 06:02:00 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Yeah, I'd have a hard time watching Gods over Amadeus, too. I was looking at the Best Picture nominees for 1984...I've only seen one other one and that's The Killing Fields, which I don't remember too much. In this case, Amadeus is probably the best of the five, but what a weak crop: A Passage to India, Places in the Heart, and A Soldier's Story round out the five nominees.

It was one of the rare instances that the spectacle movies like Gremlins, Ghostbusters, and Terminator were better than the dramatic contenders.

Looking at your list, Mike, it's amazing I haven't even been offered The Natural, Hoosiers, or Manhattan yet. I'll post my top 20 soon when I feel like it gets closer to my actual perspective.

 
At 8/03/2009 09:00:00 AM, Blogger Mike said...

The Natural came up when I was messing around with the Genre stuff. Sports or whatever. It's fun to look at them by year also to see what your favorite movie for that year is.

For me, Manhattan seems to come up every fifty choices or so, or as much as any other. It's like it can't believe it's so high. I think it does that when something gets ranked out of line with the average perspective.

 
At 8/03/2009 01:42:00 PM, Blogger Jonathan said...

Gods Must Be Crazy might be stretching it a little, but it would be a close call.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home