Sunday, January 24, 2010

Ending the Prediction Game

Predictions are fun...until you correctly pick 3 out of 10 for the entire playoffs.

And so, the Super Bowl is exactly as it was envisioned from about Week 8 in the season, the two teams that were going for an undefeated season for awhile, the two teams that looked unstoppable and then suddenly looked stoppable and then proved unstoppable.

Colts/Saints should be a fantastic Super Bowl. If there is one thing about being wrong that feels so right, it's getting a matchup like this.

The thing about the prediction game during these playoffs is seeing a team you believe in completely self-destruct. Nowhere was this more apparent than in the Vikings/Saints game tonight, where the Vikings were so clearly better than their competition on this given night that you swear they should have won the game by about 21 points.

Brett Favre, as I have seen time and again, can amaze me with his ability and in one fell swoop make me think he's the worst quarterback I've ever seen. That interception before overtime...I sat there and said, "Oh, well, looks like he's going to run the ball and get a good amount of yards and Longwell will get the field goal try and oh look he's throwing across his body across the field and...yeah, you just pissed the game away." Keep in mind, even if that pass was incomplete, that would have been a massive failure. There was no real reward for the risk he was taking, and it befuddles me how time and again we've seen Favre do this. It's why I never got completely on board the "Favre is God" bandwagon. Tough guy, amazing ability...where is this guy's head?

I was going to reiterate, even if the Jets had won today, that the Colts probably played their starters in Week 17 more than what could have been truly classified as "resting" to the full extent of the phenomenon. But now that the Saints are in, it doesn't really matter. No matter how you slice it, a team that rested its starters is in the Super Bowl for the first time in ages.

And for my Super Bowl prediction...I pick the team that a Manning has ever played for.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 1/25/2010 02:31:00 AM, Blogger Mike said...

I'd brag about being right, except that I've only picked two of tens games correctly. If the Colts win it all, I will have picked three games right, all of the same team. That has to be some kind of record.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home