Monday, October 25, 2010

Giants/Rangers

One of these franchises will win for the first time in years, and in the Rangers case, if they win, it will be the first time ever.

As the 2nd incarnation of the Washington Senators, the Rangers franchise, which has been in Texas since 1971, has not won in the entire time they have existed, nor have they ever been in the position to win since 1961.

The Giants have not won since 1954, and they were in New York at the time.

Other than that, why might we want to watch this series? I really didn't think the Giants had it in them to beat the Phillies, but that mega-offense they have in Philly can get in a strange funk at times, and they just happened to do it in the NLCS. A lot of it has to do with the Giants pitching, but considering the Giants are not exactly a juggernaut, I felt like the Phillies should have won that series.

And thus, I think the Rangers, also with a good pitching staff and a mega-offense that does not seem to slump very much, will probably take this series.

I haven't seen this un-sexy of a matchup since the White Sox/Astros World Series in 2005. That also had a franchise that hadn't won in forever versus a team that had never been (and also a team from Texas). It was a sweep. They were all pretty close games, but in all, a 4-game series sucks no matter how you approach it.

But if this series goes 7, still will anyone care? The last time the Giants were in the World Series was 2002, against the Angels, a series that went 7, and I don't think I watched one game. I'll probably watch some of this if I can, but I won't go out of my way for it.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home