Tuesday, February 10, 2004

Amazing, when I make best & worst lists, what I forget. I will comment on a few that Jonathan brought up.

CRADLE 2 THE GRAVE would definitely get a nod in this worst category. The movie wins the prize for "Most Ridiculous of the Year." During the Super Bowl, I was over at a co-worker's apartment, who, along with me and another friend of his, mocked the scene where black market billionaires bid on an ultimate weapon, some rapid atomic buildup in a can, so-to-speak. The guy selling it begins to report on the weapon's power as it builds energy--"Cruise missile...tomahawk missile...Hiroshima...TWO Hiroshimas!!!.........NEW WORLD ORDER!!!!" DMX gets caught during a heist, has a headset that the police neglect to remove, and he then tells his crew what to do while he breaks free from his handcuffs and steals a motorcycle and speeds off. And Jet Li was wasted again.

THE LIFE OF DAVID GALE certainly needs to be mentioned, and I can't believe I forgot it. Look at the series of Oscar nominees/winners involved in this film: Spacey, Laura Linney, Kate Winslet, director Alan Parker. It has, by far, one of the most ludicrous surprise endings in the history of film, one that destroys the message, that makes no sense--and unbelievably, WAS PREDICTABLE. When you can predict that a movie will have an ending such as this, you know the ride has been wasted.

UNDERWORLD, I can't believe I forgot this. I heard a sequel was in the works...those opening weekends are death. Comic book movies, and this would be classified as one although I don't know if it was based on one or not, need to have distinguishable characters with distinguishable powers. With all the gun-toting between these ethereal creatures, it might as well have been Crips vs. Bloods in Menace II Society II.

Oh yeah, LXG made me go to sleep. Somewhere in July, on a Thursday night, in auditorium #3 at Hollywood 27, Chris Atkinson fell asleep when watching these extraordinary gentlemen.

I saw all of your bests, Jonathan, except for the rest of WHALE RIDER (I saw enough to be interested, but I didn't have time to finish it). DARK BLUE was quite good, and I enjoyed it, but I hated Kurt Russell's speech in the end. MATCHSTICK MEN was also good, but yes, the epilogue needed to go. MAN ON THE TRAIN was an interesting film but I quickly forgot about it. OWNING MAHOWNEY, THE COOLER, and THE GOOD THIEF all had things in common: they were interesting character studies in gambling, but not the best movies, for me.

I didn't see a lot of your honorable mentions like ALL THE REAL GIRLS, DECADE UNDER THE INFLUENCE, MAY, or DOG SOLDIERS, but I did forget to put AMERICAN SPLENDOR in my best category, one that would have hit the top 5.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home