Saturday, February 07, 2004

Now onto my favorite films of 2003. I wouldn't say this was a bad year by any means; there were some great films to come out, but it was pretty easy this year to pick a top ten list. Although I'm still living off the high that 1999 gave me; what a hell of a year for film that was. But in a couple of years that should wear off. What I was surprised about was usually I know what a lot of my favorite films are going to be before they're released, but this year I was dissapointed by quite a few that I thought would be no-brainers (aka "Cold Mountain," "The Last Samurai," "A Mighty Wind," "Elf," and "Matrix Reloaded"). However I was also quite surprised by some films I thought would be terrible (aka "Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle," "SWAT," "T3," and "Pirates of the Carribean.") In fact you could argue that this past year the big studio films outweighed the independents; that rarely happens. Well enough talking, from 10-1, here we go:

TEN FAVORITE FILMS OF 2003

10. DARK BLUE - This was the first great film of the year (it was released way back in Feburary), and not a soul went to see it. Which is too bad, because it is a wonderfuly elegant film about police corruption. It tackled a lot of the same territory that "Training Day" did but was a greater accomplishment in style and action. Kurt Russell is brilliant, and in my opinion deserved an Oscar nod. Ron Bass got the cold shoulder not only on this film, but also the underrated gem, "Hollywood Homicide."

9. MATCHSTICK MEN - I'm a sucker for a good con movie, and this was a great one. Nicholas Cage and Sam Rockwell make a humorous team. The only complaint I have is that it probably should have ended about a minute and half sooner; the epilouge needs to go. With this and the rerelease of "Alien," Ridley Scott had a hell of a year.

8. MYSTIC RIVER - A nice dark slice of Americana. This movie does an even better job than "Butterfly Effect" in showing how the choices you make can affect you 20 years or so down the road, and Sean Penn doesn't even have to time travel. While Billy Bob Thorton gave my favorite performance this year in "Bad Santa," I hope out of the nominees that Penn wins for this; he is very good. This ranks right up there with "Play Misty For Me," and "Unforgiven," in Clint Eastwood's directorial cannon.

7. WHALE RIDER - I typically am turned away from movies described as "Coming of Age" stories; this usually means a lot of cheese and not too much substance, but "Whale Rider" throws that theory out of whack. The story of a young Maori girl trying to break out of her heritage's customs and be her own person while helping her culture stay intact at the same time is very moving. And maybe there is cheese to be had here, but I fell for it; sue me.

6. SCHOOL OF ROCK - As Chris said, there wasn't a better comedy this year, and it would be hard to find a better comedy this decade. Jack Black ranks right up there with Gene Wilder in "Young Frankenstein," and Jack Lemmon in "Some Like it Hot," as far as leading comedic performances go. He really is that good, and I can't wait to see what he does next. Well, that is after the "Tenacious D" movie.

5. MAN ON THE TRAIN - This year, I have fallen in love with the films of Patrice Leconte, and it is all because of this one. Leconte has been directing films for the past thirty years, and this was the first one I ever saw, and it is a good one. Two strangers are brought together in unusual circumstances: one is a down on his luck bank robber looking for one last score, and one is a lonely former school teacher who has been reduced to tutoring boys in poetry. In this touching and moving parable they become great friends; I really don't know how to describe it, but just to say it is a hell of a film.

4. CAPTURING THE FRIEDMANS - This could also be called the year of the documentary. I have never seen so many documentaries get so much mainstream attention in one year. This was one of the best I have ever seen. I love the way it laid out its story and at the end you really are left wondering what the hell Mr. Friedman really did do. And while, either way he's a pretty guilty man, you can't help but feel a little sorry for him. It's like a real life Dylan Baker from "Happiness." God, this film was great.

3. LOST IN TRANSLATION - Chris, I think you could watch this movie every week and at least not get sick of it for a year or so. I wasn't overly impressed with Sofia Coppola's debut, "The Virgin Suicides," but look at that as her getting her feet wet, and look at this film as her hitting one out of the park. I can't wait to see what she does next. And, Bill Murray is brilliant, and yes Scarlett Johannsen is hot and brilliant. Great, great movie.

2. OWNING MAHONEY - Phillip Seymour Hoffman gives a rare leading performance, and I really wish he could get more opportunities to do this, because the man can carry a film. This is the best movie I've seen about gambling or any kind of addiction since 1974's "The Gambler" with James Cann, not Kenny Rogers. But speaking of Kenny Rogers if you ever needed an answer to his hit song, this movie definately shows you when you should fold them.

1. KILL BILL, VOL. 1 - Now, I could definately watch this movie every week and not get sick of it. "Cold Mountain" might have better production values, and "Mystic River" might have a more dramatic punch, and even "Lord of the Rings: Return of the King" might have more hobbits, but this movie still kicked ass over any other one I saw this year. Tarantino is simply a God; there is not a single frame in this movie he did not pay close attention to and make perfect. Tarantino will probably not win many Oscars in his career, but he will always be one of the best in my world. One hell of a fucking film; I cannot wait for Volume 2.

HONORABLE MENTIONS (The Next 10 in no particular order): AMERICAN SPLENDOR, ALL THE REAL GIRLS, THE GOOD THIEF, BAD SANTA, THE HUNTED, A DECADE UNDER THE INFLUENCE, SPELLBOUND, PHONE BOOTH, MAY, and DOG SOLDIERS.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home