Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Fun Movies and Stat Tracking

Man, I totally didn't even think about those examples, Chris. Good calls, all of them. They all had two beefy roles in two sets of famous films. Don't know why they escaped me.

It's interesting, but I think Harrison Ford's Indy and Han are probably slightly on top of the list for me as far as best/most-high-profile two roles in two series or trilogies. Stallone's up there too, though. And certainly, after another couple decades, the LOTR movies or the X-men movies may be even more iconic than Indy and Star Wars. But obviously, any guy who can play Jesus in one of the highest grossing films ever and then Superman in what will be another highest grossing movie...he would win the contest outright, just as far as scoring plum roles.

I'm also jealous, because we never seem to get hits from searches based on random names I've typed in a post. Chris types a movie review and inadvertantly causes us to start showing up in search results for a relatively unknown Texas football guy. I think it's funny that there are, as Chris said, surely people out there doing earnest searches for information on that guy, frustrated and pissed that they end up on some Nashville/Louisville sports and movies blog. That just really makes me laugh. So, I wanted to take a few moments and throw in some obscure names to see if we don't get some new hits. You know, just to further throw things out of whack for the regular joes out there trying to finish a paper or compile stats and facts.

First, I really like Pat Hingle, the man who played the commisioner in the Burton Batman films. He's a good egg. Almost as good as Marc Price (AKA Skippy Handleman on Family Ties). But both those guys pale in comparison to Kiko Garcia. Kiko was my main man growing up in Baltimore, and earned his place in history as the guy who last played shortstop for the Orioles before Cal Ripkin. He was my favorite player when I was five, and if memory serves, was completely bland and unremarkable in his playing ability. Let's also not forget Richard Belanger, perhaps the only man alive able to claim the title of Sippy Cup Mogul. He invented the sippy cup and also holds the patents for several types of glue guns. There's also another Richard Belanger, who had five unstellar years with the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League in the early 80's. I would be in error to leave out Eric Drexler, the man who coined the phrase "nanotechnology," which, I find it interesting, is not a phrase, but rather a single word. Lastly, let's all marvel at Robert Wadlow, Guinness record-holder for height, standing at a proud 8 feet 11 inches.

There. That ought to throw some people off. And it should drop that silly Mike Winchell down the list of things we get hits for--oh crap!! I just said his name again, likely leading to more hits! Oh well, at least it'll be for something I wrote this time.

1 Comments:

At 10/13/2004 10:59:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

An utterly brilliant post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home