Thursday, January 27, 2005

What Should L&N Line Be?

I hear what you're saying, KW. It's good to have a "thing", and I kinda have a thing, even though I've thought a lot about what I want to say. I think it's good to be consistent, as people know what to expect. The reason I put Chris' movie reviews up at the top is because that's something I think people might come back to read. If they know there are regular reviews coming, maybe they'll be a regular reader. I'm thinking about putting up a webcam every Tuesday, just to have that regularity. People like that. That's a part of what marketing is about.

My question is... what can we be? I don't want to be a political blog, or a sports only blog, or any number of other things that are already being done well by others on the internet. I'm not focused enough to write about any one thing every day. I was going to write about every Titans game this season, but I lost interest as the year went on (I have, though, thought we might be good at this). But I think we should be a something blog - a blog with an identity. We should think about carving our own niche.

I like being a group blog. I like that I don't have to blog everyday to keep the site fresh. I'm no Instapundit, but I do occasionally have something interesting to say (also, I hope this helps my writing ability). In fact, I wouldn't mind adding a person or two if they can bring something to the table. I think we are at our best when we are debating something, and finding an extra voice or two to add a reasonable opinion would be welcome.

This blog really started out as a way for Chris, Jonathan and I to collect our thoughts in one place instead of sending a great number of sports and movie related emails to each other. And really, I'm okay with it just being that. But, it is fun to get some visitors and comments from sometimes. And I enjoy messing around with the HTML when I get the chance. If we can keep the spirit of fun and entertainment while promoting ourselves a bit, and keep improving our looks, I think we can garner a small measure of popularity and still have a good time. Any opinions? If there are any readers out there, what do you like about us?

And KW, your reviews are good - really funny at times. They're welcome here.

3 Comments:

At 1/27/2005 02:05:00 PM, Blogger PaulNoonan said...

I think most blogs seem to have a "thing" only because that is what people are interested in. Mine started out solely about football but I'm a policy wonk too and I needed material to fill the offseason, so it evolved. If you try to pigeonhole your blog too much your content will become forced.

My advice is to let it flow.

PS - I permalinked you guys.

 
At 1/28/2005 11:05:00 AM, Blogger Stephen Karlson said...

Does that mean a new name? Family Lines System? CSX Movie Reviews?

 
At 1/28/2005 11:58:00 AM, Blogger Mike said...

I was thinking maybe Short Line Railroad, or Maybe B&O. Ha!

Thanks for the link exchange. Way to go on your NFC Championship predictions, Paul. I was feeling great about my predictions until I saw yours! Pretty much nailed it...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home