Monday, March 14, 2005

China: Day 8 & 9

Yesterday we were at the Temple of Heaven, which was a nice place where the previous dynasties had different religious ceremonies, and it was nice. It was a place where the Chinese gather to practice their caligraphy, to dance, to sing, and to play. I really enjoyed it. It's incredible to see the city built up around these ancient temples.

The flight was odd. Air China only allows 20 kg (44lb) in baggage! But, you could carry on everything else. So I had a huge bag that I had to take on board. Very different. There was in flight television, which I couldn't understand, of course, with some odd Chinese funniest home videos. We sat next to some people from Portland State.

Today in Shanghai, we saw the city's museum, which was a fine collection of ancient China artifacts, such as coins, stamps, pictures, jade, etc. I was impressed, and got a few brochures to bring home. Then, to the Oriental Pearl TV tower (check the webcam link on the right), which held some incredible views of the city. Finally, a very nice welcome dinner where I drank too much wine, and am feeling the effects now.

Shainghai is certainly built up far more than Beijing. The buildings are taller, and everything seems more modern. But, like Beijing, there are slums right next to the beautiful new buildings. It's unusual. Shainghai is like NYC, and Beijing is like DC, and I felt, and a local told me. Again, I'm tired and over-whelmed, and am wanting to go to bed. So, good night, and more to come later.

I can't get to our website from anywhere in China (I wonder if it's blocked), but I can get to blogger.com, so I can update. Can't wait to write more, and show some pictures, when I get back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home