Friday, April 08, 2005

More Entertainment Notes: Trailers

Once I get all of the release dates together and such, I am going to do a Summer Movie blog, but I did want to comment on a few trailers I have recently seen of what looks to be a rather odd summer.

THE HONEYMOONERS - So, in theory I guess an all black Honeymooners is kind of funny, but I'm trying to figure out why Cedric does all of the stupid ass movies he's done since he's gained some popularity. And this one looks to be no different. I mean I realize he's not an A-lister, but he's a funny guy, and you would think he get involved with some material that's a little more interesting than this. I usually don't go too much on previews, but when your movie is a comedy and not one scene in the preview is funny, then why even bother?

THE AMITYVILLE HORROR - This comes out next Friday I believe. This is a very well put together trailer, much like the trailer was for the remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre, both produced by Micael "I love the fast cut" Bay. TCM ended up sucking, and this one may be no different. But I will give Bay this; I have always believed if you're going to remake a movie, why not remake a bad one? At least, it gives you something to build on, like making a better movie.

THE BAD NEWS BEARS - I love the original; in my blogger profile I mention that this is my favorite sports movie of all time. The reason I'm actually curious about this one are because Billy Bob Thorton is taking over for Matthau (and in the preview he looks top notch) and Richard Linklater (the God himself) is directing it. It will probably be kind of pointless, but I guess we'll see.

STAR WARS: REVENGE OF THE SITH - Yet another terrible title, but the movie looks okay. One thing I realized while watching this preview is another reason I haven't liked the newer Star Wars movies. They're too damn colorful. I understand with all of the digital technology out there, and Lucas is a perfectionist to the point of annoyance, it's going to be a little cleaner looking than the seventies and early eighties movies. But I love the rawness and grittiness of the first two films, and I think a lot of that has to do with the look. When you see Darth Vader he has all of this red and blue behind him; I like the grey and dirty white of the Death Star. In this one he looks like he's ready for his one shot or action figure pose. Plus, Hayden Christensen, "Shattered Glass" notwithstanding, is just not the actor to pull this off, but maybe I'm wrong and it will be incredible. I'm leary; I'm very leary.

BEWITCHED and KICKING AND SCREAMING - I think Will Ferrell is going to wear out his welcome quickly with these generic looking comedies. I'm glad he did the Woody Allen film which I'm going to try and get out to this weekend.

3 Comments:

At 4/08/2005 11:04:00 PM, Blogger Mike said...

I've heard some song covers that were far better than the original, and I wish directors would do that with movies. Find one that was a decent idea but didn't pan out right, and make it pan out right.

The new Star Wars are too colorful. I agree.

 
At 4/11/2005 09:24:00 AM, Blogger Kennelworthy said...

I agree too. Too much color. The shots in Episode 3 look more like paintings than film frames.

However...this movie is going to rock. I watch the trailer probably two or three times a week. There's more lightsaber battles in this last movie than in the previous five films PUT TOGETHER!!! The best Star Wars film is Empire, and I contend it's because of mood and its darker tone. Well, Revenge of the Sith will be dark in tone too, and moody. I smell the possibility for awesomeness!!

 
At 4/11/2005 09:45:00 AM, Blogger Jonathan said...

Also, they're actually giving this one a PG-13 rating, so at least it should be a little darker.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home