Friday, June 10, 2005

Mr. & Mrs. Smith

Mr. & Mrs. Smith (Director: Doug Liman)

Liman directed three highly enjoyable flicks in Swingers, Go, and The Bourne Identity. He also did a movie called Getting In that I have not seen. This is Simon Kinberg's 2nd script of the year, after XXX: State of the Union.

OK, so Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie made some headlines during this film, and well, whoever decided these two should be in the same film together was obviously trying to break up Pitt's marriage to Jennifer Aniston, because putting two of the most gorgeous faces and bodies together on a set where physical contact is so pervasive is like flying the Millennium Falcon close to the Death Star.

This is True Lies meets The War of the Roses meets "Spy vs. Spy" and maybe even Grosse Pointe Blank, as married assassins Jane Smith (filthy-hot Jolie) and John Smith (filthy-hot Pitt) try to live normal, boring married lives, completely unaware that the other is an assassin. Then, they try to kill the same guy (Adam Brody, who is always there with an inside-joke when you need one, an inside joke that steals the movie), and their organizations command them to kill each other, with sexy results!

This movie takes a good, long time to start cooking, and then, it really sort of flies south after that. I've read numerous times about this film about how the tone was impossible to capture. Should it be comedy? Should it be action? Maybe a dark comedy? Well, the jokes are so bland as to not really be jokes. Every "observation" that the movie has is something like, "Oooh...Peas."

Other players, besides the obvious and Brody...we have Vince Vaughn, reteaming with Liman here, playing an assassin himself. It's Trent from Swingers gone bad. Cameos come in from director Chris Weitz (American Pie, About A Boy, In Good Company) and Jennifer Morrison from "House," because Fox has to advertise their TV shows on everything. And well, I'm sure all of them are highly confused why they are here. The worst assassins in the world try to kill the Smiths. None of them can aim worth a damn. This is to be expected, but we're supposed to be talking about world-precision killers here. They couldn't kill me in the middle of a desert with a bazooka and a fuel tanker parked beside me. The whole movie is all so we can see pretty faces, and in the end, it's just a movie about a failing marriage given some spark after both parties realize what psychos they both are.

A major disappointment from the usually reliable Liman, who does make this fun for a little while but obviously had no chance with the screenplay.

8 Comments:

At 6/10/2005 08:02:00 AM, Blogger Jade said...

Hmm, I hope I like it better than you did. I'm going to see it tonight and I've been pretty excited about it.

 
At 6/10/2005 09:16:00 AM, Blogger Jonathan said...

I'll probably still check it out, but I remember thinking while watching the previews that there were a lot of lines and/or situations that seemed better edited in a preview than they would actually be in the film. "Ooh, peas," and "Who's Your Daddy now?" were two of them. But I love me some Liman, so I'm hoping to enjoy it.

 
At 6/10/2005 12:31:00 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Yeah, I really hoped that I would have liked it better than I did. Of course, I did start watching it at 3:30 in the morning, and I had just gotten pissed off by the Shark Boy movie, so it might have been better under different circumstances.

 
At 6/10/2005 03:53:00 PM, Blogger Jonathan said...

Man, you watch some strange double features. Remember that night we watched "8 Heads in a Duffel Bag" and "McHale's Navy" back to back? I had an exam the next morining at 7:00; I don't know what I was thinking.

 
At 6/10/2005 03:58:00 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Yeah, talk about your worst double feature ever. That's 2 comedies, and maybe one laugh between them.

 
At 6/10/2005 09:04:00 PM, Blogger Jade said...

But at least McHale's navy had Bruce Campbell. "Loosy goosey scary berry". Hahahaha. . .::sigh:: anyway. . .

Saw mr and mrs smith. Loved it. I laughed through the whole thing along with the rest of the theater. maybe my standards aren't high enough. maybe I just have a crush on angelina and brad. But I liked it and I'd see it again (though not in theaters).

Did anyone catch that Seth Cohen (is that his name? kid from the oc) was wearing a Fight Club shirt when being "interviewed" by brad? I expected him to say, "Look, the first rule of this set up is you don't talk about the set up."

 
At 6/11/2005 08:30:00 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Yeah, that was the inside joke I was referring to. That gave me a hearty laugh.

 
At 6/22/2005 11:02:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hated this movie. totally. and this despite the fact that i noticed the fight club tee. how can anyone go wrong with brad pitt, angelina jolie and action put into a flick. maybe am sore about the air supply song they made pitt sing along to during the car chase. i almost threw up at that point.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home