Monday, September 19, 2005

Coldplay

I began yesterday without a ticket to last night's show at Starwood Amphitheatre, and by the end of the night, I was 7 rows back on the left side of the stage--spending way much more money than I ever intended (grass seats were sold out). But seeing how I really wanted to see this show, I went ahead and made the plunge.

I don't know what most of you guys think of Coldplay--I know KW likes 'em but good, but I get the sense that most rock snobs consider them wuss-rockers, the same derision launched towards all progressive groups. But as much as I like a good Rage Against the Machine tune now and then, I've always been able to mix in some music that seems much more composed rather than found in a garage (not knocking garage rock).

Concerts rarely become end-all experiences, especially if you spend it watching far away. That's not to say I hate grass seats--like I said, that's what I was going for, and many times grass seats are the best way to kick back and relax and just hear some music. But when you're close, and you can see people's faces and performances, it's a way different experience.

A few years ago, I saw U2 in Atlanta under these circumstances. It was important, mainly because when you watch a show of guys who consider themselves musicians rather than rock stars, the showmanship is half the fun. You are bathed in the lights, you see those little details, you become immersed. Of course, the music is the utmost priority. Can the band, ultimately, play songs you know and love...live?

Coldplay began with "Square One," the first song off the new album X & Y. It went from there to A Rush of Blood to the Head's "Politik" and Parachutes' "Yellow," in which yellow balloons were unleashed upon the audience filled with confetti. From there it was "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face," and then it was the first lowlight--"Speed of Sound," the hit track from X & Y. All of the songs from lead singer Chris Martin had soared with his vocals but here he sounded winded--of course, Coldplay had cancelled shows just before this one because of Martin's voice going out (but this was the only time he sounded a little off).

Another mixture of songs, including "The Scientist," led into what has become the tour's signature: A tribute to Johnny Cash. Martin mentioned several times how it was great to play in Nashville because this is where Cash made his mark. "I know it may seem weird to you guys, a group of guys from England and Scotland are big fans of Johnny Cash, but we are." All four of the group tightly huddled together at the front of the stage and they played "Til Kingdom Come" which is a hidden track off the new album and was written by Cash before he died--this was the song that Martin and gang were supposed to record with him but were unable--and then they went into "Ring of Fire." Staying in the same grouping, they went into their Blood to the Head's "Don't Panic."

Now, this was touching, but it isn't exactly like Coldplay waited to get to Nashville to do this special Cash tribute. They've done it all summer. It was fun, but the specialness of it was reduced somewhat by the fact that they do it all the time, and didn't do anything different to make it uniquely a Nashville experience. I don't want to take anything away from it, but that's my gut reaction. An extended "Clocks" and a great finish, "Talk" topped off the set.

I liked Martin's comment during "Talk" where he said, "This is our last song...well, it might not be our last song, you know how that goes..." referring of course to the requisite encore--by the way, why do bands do encores anymore? "Swallowed in the Sea" began the encore, then the great "In My Place," in which Martin also did what has become an open venue standard, running out into the audience swathed in security and singing the last of the song. Then came the latest single off the new album, "Fix You," to finish it off.

There were a number of people afterwards I heard saying without a doubt it was the best concert they had ever attended. Coldplay indeed is a talented live band, and their show is involving and tour-de-force. For me, that U2 show, Pink Floyd in 1994 at Vanderbilt, Page and Plant at the then-Nashville Arena are standards. That Pink Floyd show was filled with music, divided into two parts. I know Coldplay doesn't have the song selection of Floyd (or U2 or Page/Plant), but when you pay a good amount of money to watch a band, and they play 17 songs, there's still some wanting more. I know there's a curfew at some of these things, and that's unfortunate--but maybe we could have the concert a little earlier? Rilo Kiley, the opening band (very good by the way) came on a little earlier than scheduled and exited pretty quickly, and then it took forever for Coldplay to come out, after the meticulous stage set-up seemed long finished--they were up by 9:30, giving them an hour and a half.

Apparently, Tim McGraw and Faith Hill were in attendance, but I didn't see them. I did see Titans receiver Drew Bennett afterwards. I wouldn't have seen him if it weren't for some guy turning around and saying, "Hey, great game today!" I felt bad for turning around myself...but at least I didn't stare or bother him.

Starwood: You've been in existence for twenty years--still haven't gotten that parking, and especially parking lot clearance, thing down. After the show, I didn't even bother getting in my car. I waited about an hour before trying to leave. I know there's only a couple of outlets onto the streets, and I think therein lies the problem. First, I think normal non-concert-going traffic should have to detour to get to their destinations. That would cut the problem down pretty well (like what Atlanta does for baseball games). You aren't ever going to get it perfect, but it should be better than this.

Also--people complain about concession prices at movie theatres. Sheesh!

Anyway, good show--some bad experience involved, probably not worth the money I let go--would have been worth the grass price (IF I had the same seat). I haven't ever seen that place that packed.

3 Comments:

At 9/19/2005 03:53:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not a big fan. The second half of "Fix you" is good, but the first half reminds me of Kip Dynamite singing "I love Technology" at his wedding. Cheesy lyrics, horrible voice, and just a very "velvet lounge" feel. Maybe it's not good enough for a velvet lounge, maybe a cheesy motivational seminar.

 
At 9/19/2005 05:16:00 PM, Blogger PaulNoonan said...

Coldplay can play. Underrated musicians, and victims of their own success. I hate "Fix you" though.

They put on a pretty kickin' show. And I love to discuss them with music snobs.

 
At 9/19/2005 06:51:00 PM, Blogger Mike said...

I have to fight my tendencies to be a music snob, but I've liked what I've heard of Coldplay. A nice sound and all. I'd like to hear more, but I can't stand listening to the radio. There, I'm a snob!

And, I've only been to Starwood once, thank God. That traffic sound awful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home