Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Can We Get Some Originality?

Just to further my discussion on the quick demise of originality in the present day horror movie, check out this list of horror movie remakes that are coming out in 2006: When a Stranger Calls, Pulse, The Hills Have Eyes, The Omen (Omen 666), Black Christmas, The Crazies, The Hitcher, Mortuary, Sisters, The Wicker Man. And that's not even counting the recent announcements of rehashes of Creature From the Black Lagoon and Creepshow.

This is also not including the sequels: The Grudge 2, 2001 Maniacs, Underworld:Evolution, Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning, Final Destination 3, and Creepshow 3. Not to mention the inevitable further chapters in the lives of Freddy, Jason, Michael Myers, and Chucky.

There are some possible bright spots in next year's blood filled line-up. John Gulager's "Feast" is apparently the first Project Greenlight film to be worth a damn, and Eli (Cabin Fever) Roth's "Hostel" is getting high praises from the likes of Quentin Tarantino and Stephen King. Speaking of Tarantino, he and Robert Rodriquez should have "Grindhouse" out in late Spring or Summer next year which will be two one hour horror films from each with made-up trailers and commercials spliced in to give it that true Grindhouse Cinema experience.

And starting next Friday will be Showtime's debut of their "Master of Horror" series where a lot of genre veterans will be spilling out weekly hour long horror tales. It's an intriguing idea for an anthology series with people like John (Halloween) Carpenter, Dario (Suspira) Argento, and John (An American Werewolf in London) Landis contributing stories.

But all of those remakes and sequels really bog the mind. My hope is none of those damn things make a damn bit of money, and these people and the studios will be forced to actually be original for a change and will have a new horror movie renaissance. I don't honestly believe that will happen, but one can always have hope.

3 Comments:

At 10/25/2005 08:53:00 PM, Blogger Amy said...

I am by no means an expert on movies, but the same could be said for all genres. My love of movies comes from the enjoyment factor, not so much the technical aspects but the breaking from the reality of my daily life.

I am looking forward to three movies coming out next month, Harry Potter, Rent and Walk the Line. Especially the Potter movie since this will be Mike Newell's turn at the franchise and it will be the first Brittish director for it.

 
At 10/25/2005 09:28:00 PM, Blogger Jonathan said...

I agree on the all genre comment; I just know horror movies better than others so I used that as my prime example. And that has also been one of the more talked about genres over the past few years not to mention money makers so it seemed fitting.

I'm quite the Mike Newell fan myself; he's a director who has shown himself to be quite diverse with films like "Four Weddings and a Funeral" and "Donnie Brasco." I think he'll be a nice fit in the Potter universe. Walk the Line has been getting a lot of bad buzz from the Toronto film festival, but hopefully it ends up being good. Reese Witherspoon looks to the part to the point of being eerie.

 
At 10/25/2005 11:14:00 PM, Blogger Amy said...

One of the gossip columns that I read saw an early release of Walk the Line and he said that the Oscar buzz was , for once, not just hype. I have heard a mix bag of comments towards the movie but they all have mentioned that it is a fairly accurate portrait of Cash. As long as the movie does not simplify southerns and make it look cartoonish, I will be satisfied.

It was suggested before Potter started production that book four be split into two films released within a few months ago. Alfonso, whatever his last name is, who directed Azkaban encouraged Newell to cut the story down in order to have one movie. Newell agreed so I am off to read Goblet one more time before the release so I can make mental notes of what was cut.

I will say, for movies based on books, these follow very closely. Bridget Jones and the sequel were great (but I am into chick lit and films) but it drifted so far from the book.

Oh well, off to bed and another day closer to seeing Goblet. I really sound like a dork. . .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home