Saturday, October 15, 2005

My Take on TV So Far

With DVR and another room with a VCR I'm watching way more right now than I expect to by the end of the season. My brain is on overload right now; with television, books (I try to read atleast one a week; it's just a geeky thing I do) and all the movies I watch I'm so immersed in pop culture I feel like I'm going to explode. But, I thought I'd throw in my take on the season so far. On a completely different note before I start, I just watched "High Tension" (new to DVD this week) and what a fucked up ending. I reread your review, Chris, and I will say you are not alone in confusion, and the answer to your big question is yes. The ending makes absolutely no sense, but the first 45 minutes of the film are some of the most intense stuff I've seen in awhile; worth checking out for that alone. Just thought I'd throw that in, it was on my mind.

SUNDAY

COLD CASE - I would probably never watch this show if my wife didn't like it so much, but it's a good time waster. It's never what I would call excellent, but it usually has an intriguing mystery at it's core in each episode, and Kathryn Morris is quite the hottie. They did have a cool episode on last week that revolved around the movie "Halloween" and a copycat Michael Myers killer that was pretty spooky. I would definately try to catch this one in reruns.

DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES - Sorry, I love the show. It seems that all of the hype has caused this one to have a backlash. I don't know why. This is funnier than any sitcom out there today, and it is able to come up with fresh and inventive mysteries and scandals that don't fall under the typical soap opera set-up. If anyone was worried that solving the season long mystery last year would give this show nothing to say (ala "Twin Peaks), think again. Alfre Woodard moves in the neighborhood, and she's keeping someone chained up in the basement (probably her husband), and that only scratches the surface of all the dirt they're starting to dig up on Wisteria Lane. So, if you haven't jumped on the bandwagon yet, or just left because you thought this season would suck, give it a chance I don't think you'll be upset.

GREY'S ANATOMY - I have never been a huge fan of hospital shows, but this one actually caught me offguard last season, and I've been watching it ever since. I'm scared though with the first few episodes this year, this is going to turn into the generic soap opera that "Desperate Housewives" so cleverly avoids, but I'll keep watching for awhile.

LAW AND ORDER: CRIMINAL INTENT - I really have never liked Vincent D'Nofrio's Sherlock Holmes Esque, Detective Goren. They've tried to make him a hipper modern Columbo, and it never has worked for me. Due to D'Nofrio's public meltdown, however, they've brought back Chris Noth's Detective Logan for half of the episodes this season. So, I highly reccomend if you were a fan of the early years of the original Law and Order to give this one a looksy every other week. It's nice to see Noth back.

MONDAY

KING OF QUEENS - I'm so happy this is finally on a night when there isn't a ton of other stuff I like to watch on, because I have always been a fan. Kevin James is funny as hell, and he and Leah Remini have a lot of chemistry together even if you don't buy the relationship for a second. Throw Jerry Stiller into the mix, and you have pretty damn good time awaiting you.

HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER - This show actually caught me offguard. And Chris is right, they need to do a little more with Josh Radnor's character. But Neil Patrick Harris might get nominated for an Emmy if this thing lasts awhile. He is really funny here. "Suit Up!" might be the funniest line on television all season. And if you saw the episode you know exactly what I'm talking about.

ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT - As funny as it has been for the past two seasons. Nothing really new to add here.

KITCHEN CONFIDENTIAL - One of the huge dissapointments of the year for me. I really don't know what to say about it except that it's a mess; it's all over the damn place. And it's not funny, which is pretty important.

SURFACE - Out of all of the new sci-fi shows, this is the best one so far, and it was the one I was looking forward to the least. Lake Bell (Boston Legal) plays a cryptozoologist who discovers a new, and possibly, deadly ocean species. It's a take on the Loch Ness Monster, but asks what if there were an ass ton of them. Where this show is headed I have no idea, but I'm staying along for the ride for the time being. This could really be something great; I do wish they'd get rid of the annoying kid storyline however.

TUESDAY
BONES - Everything Chris said is dead on. Very good show.

COMMANDER IN CHIEF - I'm sure this show is for the most part ridiculous bullshit, but it is entertaining as hell. Geena Davis makes a wonderful bad ass female president. Just like most fictional takes on politics, they make things seem a lot less beuracratic than they really are. But it's just that, fiction, so I'm willing to suspend disbelief. Donald Sutherland makes for a great nemesis on capital hill, and the villains are evil as hell. It's a little softer than say "24," but nowhere near as cheesy as one would think. I'll be watching this one for awhile.

BOSTON LEGAL - This show is ridiculous in a lot of ways, but it's always entertaining. This is the show that David Kelley wanted Ally McBeal to be but could never get right. James Spader is a hoot, and William Shatner for the first time in his life is actually proving to be a good actor, and not just a ham to make fun of.

MY NAME IS EARL - I hate this show. I really do, and I wanted to like it, I did. Jason Lee has always been one of my faves, but here he just comes off silly and inept. The whole redneck humor thing has been done to death; this is like "Raising Arizona" missing the humor. Jaimie Pressley is actually suprisingly good in this though, I'll agree with Chris on that. But I've watched the first few episodes, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to stop.

THE OFFICE - I agree with Chris on this. It does have it's moments, but it's nothing to write home about.

SUPERNATURAL - I'm still watching, but I don't know for how much longer. It's an intriguing premise, and I like to give the genre shows a chance for awhile, but I really don't see this being anything more than a monster of the week kind of thing. Good acting from the leads, especially Jensen Ackles, but it's losing me from week to week.

LAW AND ORDER: SVU - My number one show from last year, and the best of the L&O's by a landslide. Two weeks ago they had an episode that I would wager is better than anything that will be on television this season. Mariska Hargitay may finally get that Emmy she has deserved for the past six years.

WENDSDAY
LOST and VERONICA MARS - The two best shows on television, and they're up against each other. Is there any justice in the world? If anyone was worried about a sophmore slump from these two, they shouldn't be. I'm loving the whole pushing button mystery on "Lost." What also intrigues me are little things like the fact they didn't reunite the people on the raft with the people on the island in the first episode. I like that J.J. Abrams will let stories take their natural course and not just tidy everything up at the end of an hour. Michelle Rodriquez should also be a great addition to the cast. "Veronica Mars" is following it's promised mystery a season format (think "24" but more days) and it has come up with a doozy for our teen sleuth. At the end of the season premiere I was hooked in just as well as I was at the end of last year's premiere, and if you saw it and can say you aren't hooked, you're a liar, liar pants on fire.

INVASION - I'm like Chris on this. I keep watching cause it's on after "Lost," but nothing about it has really hooked me in yet. If this were on at any other time I probably wouldn't give it a second look, but I guess I'll see if it gets any better.

THURSDAY
ALIAS - Comeback of the season right here. I was not a fan of last season, as I posted on many occasions. The Rimbaldi storyline came to a close (I think), and we got zombies and car crashes. It was kind of a letdown if you ask me, but now we have a fresh start to look at, and I love it so far. Rachel Nichols and Balthzar Getty are intriguing replacements. Howard Dean is no Arvin Sloan, but who is? I'm hooked again to this show, and I love you for that, Mr. Abrams.

KOLCHAK - Sucks, sucks, sucks. I do highly reccomend getting the box set that just got released of the original series, and you will see the interest in remaking it. But I wish they had left it alone. I haven't watched since the first episode, and I won't ever again.

CSI - The original is the only way to go. Where "Miami" and "NY" are dull and worn ot the heels, Grissom and company are as fast paced and intriguing as ever. They are coming off a high with last years Tarantino directed finale. It's as good as ever; it's been one of the only reliable shows for me in the past five years or so.

WITHOUT A TRACE - This show has been slowly losing my interest over the past twenty episodes or so. To be honest, I've been reading through every episode so far this season. Probably won't be keeping up with it too much longer.

FRIDAY
THRESHOLD - This has the best cast of any new show this season, and as far as the genre offerings go it falls somewhere between "Invasion" and "Surface." Like "Invasion" it hasn't really hooked me yet, but it's quite a bit more intriguing. And god dammit, Carla Gugino is hot. Once again, Robert Rodriquez, thank you so much.

1 Comments:

At 10/18/2005 04:12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. You really like TV. It's good to get some real takes on some of the shows I never thought about watching, though.
I keep visiting this site about once a week, and it's badass. Keep it up, boys!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home