Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Stop Me If You've Heard This One Before

Double-check the byline below because you're about to read something that sounds an awful lot like something Chris would say.

Actually, the writing style will be my own, but the gripe is one that should have the recent rants of Chris ringing in your ears.

This post is about the stupid NFL analysts. No, I'm not talking about how many times they use the word "football," though it's maddening listening to sports talk radio now that Chris has pointed that little quirk out, because I hear it all the time (Mike Ditka, I officially hate you for it).

My beef is about exaggerations. Or, as I like to call them, "lies." Analysts like to say things that sound good...that strike a chord. They like to make predictions and be the first to point out some trend or possibility. This is sort of related to my post about Ted "I Don't Actually Watch Hockey, I Just Write About It" Montgomery's calling the Preds a clutching and grabbing team...sort of. Ted was just talking out of his ass.

But this guy's trying to be ahead of the trend...to announce some forboding doom...and he's just an idiot. His name is Vinnie Iyer and he writes for the Sporting News. He writes the "Primer" column that Yahoo Sports showcases every week.

Here's the comment that got me all riled up:

"The Colts seem unstoppable, but everything they've done to go 7-0 will all be for naught if they can't finally get over the New England bump in Week 9."

What?! Is he serious? I guess somehow the Colts ended up with the short end of the scheduling stick this year, and they must only get to play 8 games. Because I could have sworn that they had 8 more after the New England game. Also, it appears that the Colts' entry into the playoffs is based on more than just their record--it depends on beating the Pats.

I know they've had their struggles against Brady's Boys (They're a good football team with good football players who really know how to take control of a football game.) But isn't it unfair for the league to bar the Colts from playing in the post-season on the outcome of one game?

What's that, you say? I have it all wrong? Well, sue KW for being sarcastic. But this kind of comment could be written by a 9th grader. The 7-0 start will be all for naught? Does a loss in New England wipe out the other wins? Do the Pats get to take back some of their losses if they beat Peyton again? Otherwise, how do you explain this comment?

If the Colts lose in two weeks at New England...they will have...(wait for it)...lost a game. I know, I know...it's revolutionary thinking...but I think the loss would only mean that they're 7-1 instead of 8-0. They'd still be two games up on the Pats for home field advantage in the playoffs. They'd still be the best, most well-rounded team in the NFL, and they'd still be able to get out of bed in the morning.

The simple fact of the matter is that this game doesn't matter anymore. And it won't matter unless the Colts tank the second half of the season and the Pats win out.

I know the professional writers are always looking for a good angle...and that they really wanted this to be some epic showdown between the top two teams in the league. But unfortunately, the Pats had to go and spoil that by losing three games in six. And the Colts won their first 7.

Raise your hand if you think the Pats are the same team this year: Thanks...you in the back...that makes it easier to see you when I point and laugh at you.

It really burns me up that these analysts don't do as Chris would do and write about the truth...the match-ups and the stats and the CURRENT season.

As a Colts fan, I don't care if they win. They're already 3 games better. This story is a non-story.

Vinnie goes on to hedge his comment by adding:

"While I now have great confidence that they can finally get to the Super Bowl, they need to top the Pats to maintain the great confidence they've built this season... "

Chris, you can jump in here, because I know how you feel about analysts calling for "emotions having an impact in a game or a season."

Here's my own personal prediction: If the Colts lose, Peyton will be quoted as saying something along these lines, "Well, I sure am glad that doesn't matter as much as it used to."

Confidence is great and all, and I'm sure that teams with none play horribly (Titans, I'm looking in your direction). But it does not determine the season's outcome, or a teams ability to make the playoffs.

For the record...I'm worried about this game (as a Colts fan) because I do think the Pats scheme well. I want the Colts to win it, to keep their unbeaten streak alive. I am not, however, worried about a loss in this game ending their season.

And then there's this guy, Don Banks, who not only admits that the NFL pundits make crap up as they go along, but even brags about it. His quote:

"We worship at the altar of the new in today's society, and us hacks who cover the NFL for a living are no different in that respect (see ode to the latest star named Manning above). That's why so many of us were assembled in the press box of Paul Brown Stadium on Sunday to see the Cincinatti Bengals officially declared the NFL's next big thing.

But a funny thing happened on the way to the coronation in the Queen City. The Bengals didn't win their AFC North showdown against visiting Pittsburgh. In fact, they didn't come close, and wound up getting dominated by the defending division champion Steelers.

At that point, we scribes and self-styled NFL experts did what we always do: We deftly pivoted away from the flavor-of-the-week Bengals and back to the tried-and-true Steelers, who we declared to be easily the class of the division and still a force to be reckoned with. What a great gig it is that we have."


Don. I'm glad you like your job. But it's infuriating for us fans to hear you guys flip and flop like Tori Amos at Christmas Eve Mass (that's gotta be one of my worst analogies ever). Pick an opinion and go with it. You can't say one week, "The Pats are not the same team anymore" when they get spanked by San Diego, and then come back after their next win with, "The Pats show why they're the champs." Ugh. If I'd turned in writing like that in college I'd still be there.

It's bad enough you do it. Don't throw it in our face and say, "Nanny-nanny Boo-boo, I get paid well to travel and see football games and write for national publications but I actually choose my column subjects by reading the wind and seeing what my collegues say."

I think it's crap that journalists have to wait to see if the Bengals can beat the Steelers to have an opinon on Cincy's season. Have some balls. Also, why does the one game mean automatically that the Bengals still suck? Oh wait...I forgot. Next week, when they win in strong fashion, you'll just go back to calling them the real thing again, sitting behind your computer screen laughing at us saps soaking in your false wisdom.

I seriously can't figure why these guys get paid for this.

4 Comments:

At 10/26/2005 10:42:00 PM, Blogger Jonathan said...

Two awesome blogs in one day; KW I hope you're back for good. Also, I loved the analogy.

As for your comments on sports reporters, I totally agree. I mean look at the Steelers last year who roasted the Pats in the regular season and went on to be 15-1. Everyone was on the Steelers bandwagon until of course the Pats roasted them in the playoffs when it mattered.

Simple enough, it would be good for the Colts to win in two weeks, but if they don't they really haven't lost much. They're still a hell of a team, and the Pats will still be an above average team that is dealing with a lot of key injuries. Nothing will matter till the post season, and that so coveted "Dome-Field" advantage everyone says the Colts need in the playoffs will still be well within their grasps.

 
At 10/26/2005 10:58:00 PM, Blogger Kennelworthy said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the post! And I think I am back for good. I recently discovered a rather excellent thing: some person or business near my apartment has WiFi and they're not averse to me using it for free.

I had to give up internet access through Comcast a long while back for cost reasons...and only had access at work. Now that I can get online when I want...I'm hoping to blog more. Hooray for blogs!

And I'm glad you liked the analogy. I can't help but giggle at the thought of Tori sitting in a Mass. I was also hoping maybe we'd get some hits on our blog from Tori Amos fans searching for the latest news on her music.

As far as sports reporters. I just think that if they're going to get paid to travel to see games we'd give our left arm to see...and they're going to get their "expert" opinions published in major newspapers and websites...that they should do more than sway in the wind. They should have some expertise or insight that you and I couldn't come up with over a beer, you know?

Anyway...Preds lost. I guess we can now expect a rash of articles tomorrow about how "The Preds Have Crashed To Earth" or "They Were Playing Above Their Heads Anyway." Stupid journalists.

 
At 10/27/2005 07:07:00 AM, Blogger Chris said...

I know how Mike feels about emotions, and we very much disagree on this, but my reasonings always come from the fact that there's nothing to quantify where and how it works.

An example was given over the weekend with that Bengals/Steelers game. Mike believed that the 3-2 Steelers had more to play for than the 5-1 Bengals and thereby were going to play a better game because of it. And I just believe the Steelers are a better team, period. If you reversed the records, it wouldn't have made a difference.

I feel that point has some validity to it mainly because we see teams with something to play for all the time--and I'm not talking about those loser-ass Houston Texan-type teams who wouldn't be good enough on their angriest day--and yet, they still lose. I like to come up with examples, and this is the best one in the last couple of years: The Bills/Steelers game that ended the 2004 season.

The Bills, with a win, made the playoffs. The Steelers had nothing to play for. They had home field and they put in all their scrubs. And yet, the result was 29-24 Steelers. That type of game makes me a total non-believer in emotions being a factor. It is an emotional game, yes, but emotional for everyone. Talent and intelligence win out most of the time.

How this ties into KW's post is that not only do NFL analysts believe they can quantify a team's emotions, but all analysts think they can. In many games you will hear someone mention how a team "looks" and point to that as the end-all psychological analysis. And, I'm not just saying this out of my ass, most of the time they're wrong.

You cannot measure emotions. You don't know what a loss to the Pats means to the Colts. But I will say this, both teams very much want to win that game. And the emotional factor is cancelled out. The Colts want to win to prove they can beat them (and hell, let's make it simple...to win another game). The Pats want to win because at that time they will be trying to get out of the middle of the pack of the AFC. If the Pats win, how dare we say they wanted to win more?

Furthermore, how dare we say that this game is the Colts' Super Bowl? Most guys know what this is. It's game #8 of the season. You don't magically win the championship by winning this game, nor do you suddenly beat the Pats in the playoffs by using your regular-season win as a Monopoly card to pass Go and collect the Super Bowl ring. If they lose, it means exactly the same thing to the Pats. Good win, but doesn't win our 4th Super Bowl does it?

 
At 10/27/2005 11:10:00 AM, Blogger Kennelworthy said...

Well, I wasn't completely wrong. There aren't a rash of articles exaggerating the Preds loss (most national writers are simply talking about the winning streak ending), but John Glennon at the Tennessean went with this headline: "Preds Finally Run Out of Luck."

Right, John. Luck is the only thing that allowed them to win.

Of course, like our friend Vinnie from the original post, John goes on to hedge his comments by suggesting that we hadn't really played outstanding hockey, despite our wins...and that Trotz thinks we need to play better.

But that doesn't wash. Trotz, to my memory, ALWAYS says the team needs to play better. To suggest that the only reason they had the streak was because of luck is another brand of "making-it-up-so-it-sounds-like-an-interesting-angle" journalism.

Here's an idea: We won a lot of those games where we didn't play our best because of Vokoun. He's been the rock this year (as he was last year). Instead of calling the streak luck, why can't the LOCAL WRITER see it for what it is: our world champion goaltender putting the team on his back (with a little help from Paul "I Live For Shootouts" Kariya.

Sheesh. I am rapidly losing respect for all sports journalists. They don't know any more than we do...they just get to be there live for press conferences. That's the only difference I can see. In fact, I think most of us on this blog are better writers than these guys.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home