Sunday, December 18, 2005

Relief

You know what, Colts fans? Your team's loss to San Diego today was something I feel like needed to happen. Immortality is an overrated concept. In the grand scope of things, all it represents is a good story. That's all. 16-0 doesn't give you a Super Bowl win. Better it happens here than in the playoffs. Now you can make adjustments to the reasons for your loss, and rest guys.

And here's where I think I'm also going to be in the minority, along with all of my thoughts about emotions, momentum, and so forth. I don't believe in being "rusty" just because a team has time off, and I don't believe just because a team has fought hard all 16 weeks of the season means that they are more in-tune and more ready to play. The rested team usually wins, in all sports, when playoff time comes. It is, of course, not 100% successful, but it's close. I think rust only occurs when a player (it's rarely a whole team) has been out for more than 3 weeks (it has to be a significant amount of time).

So, Colts fans will get to see Jim Sorgi, probably in the second half of games, no matter the score. Peyton, Marvin, and Edge will get to have some sharpening time during the first half and then take the day off. That's sound.

Also, you guys may not have been impressed, and I surely got upset at the Titans play this year, but they had 3 real bad games (both Indy meetings and the opening day loss at Pittsburgh) and after that, they've had legitimate chances at winning the other games, including against opponents either fighting for the playoffs or are already there. More seasoning and some more bodies should be highly beneficial. Today's game against Seattle, I thought they might be able to squeak it out--but once again, some iffy play down the stretch cost them.

4 Comments:

At 12/18/2005 08:17:00 PM, Blogger Mike said...

I think that some bad coaching decisions are costing us games. The decision not to kick the field goal when they were inside the ten was a poor one, and it led to not kicking a field goal to take the lead late in the game. I'm not impressed. This sort of decision making has hurt us all year.

 
At 12/18/2005 08:19:00 PM, Blogger Kennelworthy said...

Speaking for Colts fans everywhere (who never officially gave me permission to speak for them)...I have to agree.

I wanted the 19-0 season for my boys in blue. But...any sane football fan would place a Super Bowl above an undefeated regular season. (To have both...well, that's the utopia no team has been able to achieve in over 30 years).

Call me a heretic...but I'm even a little relieved they lost. It was beginning to feel like a loss was bound to happen sometime...and like Chris said, better to get it out of the way now that during the playoffs.

And like Dungy said, maybe it'll give the team some fire and determination...some refocusing for the playoff run.

We're still the number one seed...home field throughout the playoffs (and the big game is in a dome too).

Don't get me wrong...the Colts looked lousy today, and no fan wants to see that. But they're still the class of the NFL. They're still the team to beat.

Now, if New England comes in to town and beats us in the playoffs...I am going to implode.

Oh, and the Titans almost pulled it off today...and then didn't. Story of their season. There's always next year, right?

 
At 12/19/2005 03:59:00 AM, Blogger Chris said...

I'm not one to think that just because the Titans could have kicked the field goal, they would have had the exact same circumstances to kick another one to win the game. Cause and effect is completely different.

Even if they could have kicked one to make it 30-28, the Seahawks would have likely still won (remember, after the Titans' last drive, the Seahawks continued to drive the ball at will). And well, perhaps it is in the best interest of the team to at least get the lead. I'm not in argument there.

The way the Titan D was playing at the end, though, the Seahawks were pretty unstoppable. Many of the decisions made by the coaching staff has had to do with the way the players on the field are performing at the time.

Also, I'm not certain that coaching has cost the Titans very many times this year. Most of the time, it's the secondary. Perhaps you could name the other instances where Fisher himself cost the Titans?

 
At 12/19/2005 10:30:00 AM, Blogger Mike said...

Of course, if they had kicked the FG, the rest of the game would have gone differently. Which might have been good, considering that they lost. I'm not saying they surely would have won, but that it was a bad decision that could have cost them the game.

I've written before about bad coaching decisions this year. I can't think of any right off hand, but there were specific occasions where they made similar bad choices. Too bad I can't remember; maybe in time. With all of these close games, I think coaching has cost us one or two.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home