Monday, January 30, 2006

Steelers should win for Bettis AND Cowher




There are many great storylines that surround Super Bowl XL for both teams. There is the return trip of Mike Holmgren after 8 long years away from the big game, Matt Hasselbeck's chance to equal Brett Favre's record in the Super Bowl (Favre won in his 5th year), and don't forget the "lack of respect" angle that seems to plague all of major sports in the country. As the Super Bowl approaches, we have been (and will increasingly be) hounded by stories of Jerome Bettis making his homecoming, Ben Roethlisberger's phenomenal first two years (complete with Dan Marino comparisons), and the chance for the Steel City's first NFL championship since 1979.

As sports fans watch this week, we will be innundated with these stories and many (many) more. The media will look for every angle to cover, so we'll probably get to find out what Josh Scobee had for dinner on his eight birthday. I also can't wait to learn which player has the largest shoes and what the governors of each state are going to wager this year (I do hope that the fine people of Seattle have to turn over their lattes for some Iron City Beer--as great as it is, it would be their punishment for losing).

As all of these stories swirl around the frozen streets of Detroit, there is one deserving story that has been overshadowed by the others. It isn't that Bill Cowher is making his second trip to the Super Bowl. It isn't that he hasn't won the big game, and it surely isn't that he's led the most successful franchise (sans Super Bowl titles) during his 14 years coaching his hometown team. No, this story is about great guys finishing first.

I received a message from my mom today that, I think, illustrates why Cowher is easy to cheer for and is wholly underappreciated. My Mom is a pastor at a local church, and carried her love for the Steelers with her to her confirmation class last Sunday. A member of the class was a Pittsburgh native who passed this story about Coach Cowher at a recent high school basketball game. The note reads:

Hi Lori,
Had to share this with you. I received a phone call from my Dad
last night around 10:00 p.m. He was just getting back from the girls
basketball game at Shaler High School. Shaler hosted Fox Chapel
last night. Well here is the story:
My Dad noticed that Bill Cower was sitting in the top bleacher
watching his daughter participate in the game. So my Dad climbed
the bleachers and approached coach Cower to wish him luck on Sunday.
After exchanging some good wishes for the game. Coach thanked my Dad and
asked him how old he was. My Dad revealed he was 81 years old and has
been an avid fan since the teams inception. Coach responded by telling
my Dad that he was so inspired by my Dad's determination to reach the
top of the bleachers that it reminded him that anything is attainable
with determination and he assured my Dad he would take that
determination with him and to the team. He ask my Dad if he would mind if he
shared with the team his observation of my Dad getting from the floor to
the top of the bleachers. Coach then ask my Dad if he would be opposed
to him assisting my Dad down the bleachers. When they got down to the floor, Coach Cower hugged my Dad and thanked him for giving him some special inspiration tonight. Pretty cool. I thought my Dad was going to cry. Forgot to mention - my Dad has arthritis of the spine and
has 2 artificial knees. Thought you would enjoy hearing about another
side of "The Coach."


In today's sports world, sports figures are glorified and celebrated for the wrong actions. Responsibility, humility, and compassion have been replaced by greed, materialism, and narcissism. While I know that many people in sports do tremendous things for others all the time, it just isn't celebrated like over-the-top touchdown dances or steroid induced records.

In this Super Bowl, each player and coach has earned their time in the spotlight. (Almost) Every story provides an important part of the backdrop for what should be a great game. I just hope that through all of the deserved stories of Bettis, and Homgren, and the rest, that Cowher gets recognized for what he means to the Steelers, the NFL, and all of sports. I hope that he has the chance to jut his jaw in celebration, and that all of us life-long Steelers fans can appreciate the great man we have on the sidelines.

2 Comments:

At 1/31/2006 05:39:00 PM, Blogger Kennelworthy said...

Yeah, I only ever hear good things about both guys. I'm not going to whine if I watch them win the Super Bowl.

 
At 1/31/2006 11:37:00 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Seeing as how I was recruited into the Steeler fan base, I have been amazed at everything I have read about the team and seen. I am not a big fan of basketball, hockey or baseball (although I end up watching the playoffs) but footall has always been a big part of my life. I enjoy watching a good game but have been turned off by those "professionals" who break the rules, etc. So, after three years of cheering on the Steelers, I am proud to say that I have yet to hear a story about one of their players being arrested for driving drunk or hitting their spouse. I highly doubt the Cowher would allow this behavior and it is refreshing. I also stumbled across two stories that made me teary eyed (a strech for those who know me). First, the close relationship between Jerome Bettis and Ben Rothlisberger. I was impressed with Bettis and his desire to welcome Big Ben to the team and he seems to do this with all of the players. The other article focused on Bettis, where he grew up, his family and his desire to get an education, opting for Notre Dame over Michigan. He remembers where he came from and carries that with him.

So, yes, count me in, my team is going to the Super Bowl and I will cheer for them until shows 00:00

 

Post a Comment

<< Home