Monday, January 23, 2006

What To Be Excited About in 2006












Once again, 2005 was one of the best years in recent memory for rock/alternative music. With releases by Beck, Weezer, Ben Folds, and System of a Down, you could tell there would be solid contributions made by commercial veterans. But welcome surprises such as Antony and the Johnsons (I am a Bird Now), My Morning Jacket (Z, review coming soon), and Elbow (Leaders of the Free World: UK release), really made last year a special one. In my opinion, 2005 rivaled 1994.

2006 probably won't be as much of a landmark year as the previous one (much like the supposed "slump" at the movie theaters), but there is much to be anticipated. Not to mention I've finally gotten excited about commercial music again. Check these out:

Outkast - Idlewild - Feb. 14th
If you haven't listened to Outkast just because you don't like hip hop, give it a shot.

Ray Davies - Other People's Lives - Feb. 21st
Legendary frontman of the Kinks releases a brand spankin' new solo album. Sounds good to me.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones - March 28th
Follow-up to the surprising hit Forever to Tell (2003) should be impressive. Plus lead singer Karen O will break some hearts.

The Flaming Lips - At War with the Mystics - April 4th
One of my favorite bands tries to rebound from mediocrity and return to the Soft Bulletin (1999) days.

Deftones - Untitled - Date TBA
For those of you who love to rock hard, this is the band for you.

Prince - 3121 - March 21st
I'm a sucker for this guy. He had me from the first old-skool beat of 2004's Musicology; his best in years.

There's also undated and untitled scheduled 2006 releases for noise rock pioneers Sonic Youth, fast-talkin' rapper Busta Rhymes, and up-and-coming brit rockers Keane and Snow Patrol.

Enjoy the year. I'll be reviewing several of these as they come out.

2 Comments:

At 1/23/2006 08:14:00 PM, Blogger Mike said...

I should have gotten you a Prince bootleg. I'm trying to get a good one from the Purple Rain tour.

 
At 1/24/2006 09:56:00 PM, Blogger Jonathan said...

And maybe Dre will finally get that damn "Detox" album out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home