Monday, January 16, 2006

The FC Championships

If this isn't the worst NFL playoffs ever, it's certainly the worst I've ever been predicting them. I didn't post for the Wild Card weekend but I would have gone 2-2 there, and I was 1-3 last week. Top seeds were 2-2 this past weekend, making it only the third time in 16 years it's happened.

So, on to the championship games, where I'll likely be entirely wrong again.

NFC: Carolina at Seattle

I haven't been giving much "respect" to Carolina, I guess. I've picked them to lose twice now. Coach John Fox has proved himself to be particularly able come playoff time, and we're seeing guys perform at a higher level than they did in the regular season. I'm picking Carolina to go to the Super Bowl, even though on paper Seattle is a better team.

AFC: Pittsburgh at Denver

I haven't been giving much "respect" to Denver, either. They never impressed me during the season, having games much like Jacksonville did and seemingly happening into a 13-3 record. Denver beating New England and causing all of that frustration is impressive. Pittsburgh, on the other hand, also had an impressive win but there always seems to be some unfortunate turn of events for this team--it nearly cost them this past weekend. That said, I don't think Denver has the offensive team that Cincy and Indy had against Pittsburgh, and Pittsburgh's offense is adequate enough--a close, heartbreaking loss for Denver. I like Pittsburgh.

That might be the most boring Super Bowl matchup ever, which means it will probably be one of the best played Super Bowls ever--because all matchups on paper look boring until the game is played. Really, though, I don't care who wins--just give me a good game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home