Sunday, January 08, 2006

Why Not Talk A Little Baseball

Football's almost over, and let's face it, most of us don't really get into college basketball for another month and a half or so, so I decided to make the first official baseball post of 2006; I'm sure the first of many to come. These are just some random thoughts on my mind, and so I'm throwing them out there.

- Miguel Tejada has apparently decided he does not want to be traded, and try and help Baltimore become more of a contender. KW wipes a lot of sweat off of his brow. I've been following this pretty closely since my beloved Cubbies were one of the handful of teams in negotiations to acquire him, and I would have loved to have seen that; I would have missed you Pryor, but I wouldn't have gotten over it once Tejada hit three homeruns on opening day. But I'm glad he's staying. There are so many offseason free agent signings and trades that you have to start memorizing all the new line-ups every year. It's the one thing about baseball that has always annoyed me. It's nice to see at least one superstar staying with their damn ball club. And it's about damn time that the AL East started becoming a little more competitive. With the Orioles young pitching staff who might have outdid themselves a little bit last year, and a hell of a hot line-up if it can get some consistency they should be right up there with the Yanks and Sox. And Toronto might be a little overrated at this point, but they are trying to improve. The Rays are still the Rays, but good for you, Tejada. Try and help us remember there are not only two teams in that division.

- The Cubs initial starting pitching rotation does not include Kerry Wood. And thank the love of God. Throw Glendon Rusch and Jerome Williams in there and see what they can do. For all the hype that people want to give Wood, the guy has never won more than 14 games in a season, and as not ever had a complete season. Maybe it's the way he pitches; that seems to be the main argument. So, make him a closer. Look, how that fared for Smoltz. Wood could be a hell of a closer, and the Cubs most definately need one. I don't know how much he would like it, but I know the fans would. Zambrano should be your ace, Pryor number 2, and then flip a coin for Maddux, Williams, and Rusch.

- Most ridiculous offseason deal to me, and there are plenty (The Marlins unloading their team yet again is an eye opener), is Millwood going to the Rangers for 60 million plus over 4 years. What the hell is that about? Has Millwood ever proved himself to be worth anything near that kind of dollar range? I haven't seen it. Does this sould a little like Chan Ho Park to anyone besides me? Rafael Furcal's salary increase came a close second. Which all this says to me is that you don't have to be the best player at your posistion, you just have to be the best one available that year, and you're guaranteed some ridiculous money whether you deserve it or not. Salary Cap's are going to happen, it's just a matter of when.

- And last, and definately least. Where is Piazza going? I don't care. He's washed up if you ask me.

God, I can't wait till opening day.

3 Comments:

At 1/09/2006 12:22:00 PM, Blogger Chris said...

You know, with the NFL playoffs, after watching two blowouts, a game where neither team had an offense, and another game where one team's starting QB got knocked out on the first play and led to a game where the outcome was never in question, I was ready to talk baseball too.

On Millwood--I don't think he's worth that kind of money, but he did lead the AL in ERA last year, and that was with most of his games at Jacobs Field.

And, I'd just like to see the Yankees barely miss the playoffs this year. It's astounding that they even make it with the ego-filled lineup they have. I tend to think the Blue Jays are overrated right now, too. But I'd love to see them in first place by year's end.

 
At 1/09/2006 03:45:00 PM, Blogger Kennelworthy said...

I didn't have enough rags to wipe all the sweat from my brow over the Tejada thing. If we had lost him, it would have been a step backwards. His bat is amazing, no doubt...but he also quickly became the heart and soul of the team...the mood-setter...the leader. Of course, part of Oriole magic is having a keystone shortstop as a centerpiece of your team, so...glad he's staying.

 
At 1/09/2006 09:00:00 PM, Blogger Jonathan said...

I still think the Yankees will probably be favored to win that division, and I'm leaning that way myself with my early feelings. If anything I feel the Redsox are a step down. Damon is by no means the greatest lead-off hitter in baseball, but he worked wonders in that line-up, and was a great hitter in Fenway. I think losing him will hit harder than most people think.

But how awesome would it be if the Jays and Orioles took the top two spots in that division. I was all about the Redsox getting over that curse bullshit, but now that they've won a series I could give a shit. I want some new blood in the playoffs. How great would it be if the playoffs consisted of Orioles, Jays, Indians, and Rangers or even Mariners. Won't happen, but it would be fun.

As usual, the Wildcard weekend has blown ass. It amazes me how due to the only close score people are trying to make the Bucs/Redskins game into a great one. It was boring as hell especially coming after the best Bowl Game in a long ass time. And none of the matchups this coming weekend look all that exciting. Let's hope for a Patriots/Colts championship game I guess. I'm actually pulling for the Colts to win it all now that the Bungles are out of the picture; how insane have I become?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home