Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Month Five and Cory Lidle

I don't have much of an update as far as I'm concerned--things are pretty much normal and routine at this point.

Not routine: Cory Lidle has died in a plane crash--there's still a lot of details up in the air about this, but a small plane he was apparently flying crashed into a Manhattan apartment building on East 72nd Avenue, the Upper East Side.

It's a very rainy day, but apparently this happened well before the rain started falling. I was in the middle of watching A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints at a Queens arthouse in Kew Gardens. Amazingly, I didn't hear anything about it until I got home.

Mike and I saw Cory Lidle pitch against the Twins on September 4 and it was probably one of his most brilliant games--a shutout before the bullpen allowed a much-booed run in an 8-1 Yankees victory.

It's sad no matter what--but even for a brief moment in time, I've seen a person at his job, excelling even, and now he's gone.

Tonight the Mets are supposed to play game 1 of the NLCS, and it's raining pretty hard, and they're thinking about maybe playing the thing--but I think it would be nice to let this slide. Just go ahead and cancel it.

1 Comments:

At 10/11/2006 09:28:00 PM, Blogger Mike said...

I'm glad we went to that game. My memory is fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure I've seen him on other occasions. He was going to fly across the country bit by bit, hitting different cities along the way. Tonight he was supposed to stay at the Union Station hotel here in Nashville.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home