So Chris Chelios was on a Detroit-area radio station this morning and gave the following quote regarding Nashville Predators fans:
"Yeah, they're hillbillyish. ... I don't know what to say, hillbilly or country. "They are a very emotional crowd, exciting crowd, loud, so it's actually a fun place to play on the road."
So many places to go with this one. Hmmm... let's see.
1. Chris must still be miffed about that whole "Chelios is a sissy" chant from back during our team's first playoff appearance--the arena chanted that silly insult every time he touched the puck, and it was kind of funny.
2. I think "hillbilly" or "redneck" or "county" is about the easiest joke a person can make about Nashville. That joke is older than Mel Brooks. Give me a break, Chris. In the immortal words of Jerry Seinfeld, it offends me as a comedian!
3. I think we Nashville fans should show up at the first home playoff game on Monday all wearing straw hats and wife-beaters, with a strand of hay hanging out of our mouths. And we should all tell Chelios how "purty" he is. Or maybe we all wear three-piece business suits and monacles.
4. If Chelios is allowed to mock Preds fans based on overused stereotypes about our town... then we can do the same thing: Detroit fans are dirty and poor. Just very, very poor and dirty... and homocidal-ish. And they all live in trailers and have nightly rap battles.
See, Chris, it's not that hard. Wait, wait... let me guess... Calgary fans say "Eh?" all the time, right?
5. I wish I had some way to get this out to all the Preds fans. There really should be some sort of organized chant or outfit or something.
Labels: Chelios insults Nashville, Chris Chelios, Nashville Fans are Hillbillyish